Powered by Blogger.

Apples, Honey and Prayers for Peace


 

Tonight Jewish people around the world will welcome 5785, and tomorrow as is the custom I will share apples and honey with my family of friends that I celebrate with. Why apples and honey? Symbolically, to begin the new year on a sweet note. Practically, for the Jewish people of Europe apple season and the new year came together and honey was the sweetener used for centuries. Centuries later this is still the custom. 


I'm delighted to begin a new year and leave 5784 and its sorrows behind. Not that the sorrows and misery are ended for far too many around the world, but we begin once again with hopes and prayers for a better world in the year to come. 


As is my custom, I will be bringing prayer requests with me to services. Our services for the next ten days include two days for the new year (Rosh Hashanah) and two days for Yom Kippur. There will be lots of hours of prayer. Once again, I am honored to bring prayer requests that you have with me. Please feel free to message me or leave a comment. At the top of my list are prayers for peace and for relief for those affected by Hurricane Helene.


Let the new year begin with apples, honey, sweetness and may we see peace in 5785.


As ever, thanks for visiting and take good care. 

No comments