Powered by Blogger.

Black Swan Days Begin

Lower Manhattan, Looking North































I've had a lot of trouble finding a title for this post. But I saw a post from a friend on Facebook about a black swan. A black swan is an "unpredictable event that is beyond what is normally expected and has potentially serious consequences. They are extremely rare and have a severe impact." My deepest prayer is that Covid19 is as many have characterized it,  a "bad flu," but looking at data from Italy I am more concerned that it is a black swan. 

Buttercupland is not about to become a medical blog and I will make every effort to continue to write about positive and upbeat topics. But I most likely will be spending much more time at home and staying away from gatherings of large groups. The latter is on recommendation of my internist who I saw on Monday. There may be a lot more photographs taken in walking distance of my apartment, photographs taken in years past and lots of long delayed book reviews. 

I thought about what I will be doing in the hours I would normally be scheduling activities all over New York City. I will be blogging more, reading more and yes, working on the infinite decluttering. I will also be walking as much as possible as a way to keep fit and to burn off nervous energy. My building has a beautiful -- and little used -- roof deck and I plan to enjoy it more than usual this spring. 

Saturday my friend, Jane, and I spent the afternoon walking, taking pictures and then walking a lot more. My total for the day was over six miles. It was crisp, but sunny and we had a wonderful walk in Lower Manhattan. We stopped for lunch at Pier A, which is on the National Register of Historic Places. It was built in 1886 as the headquarters for the New York Harbor Police and Department of Docks and renovated several years ago. 

 An extraordinary view from Pier A. Alas it was too cold to sit outside for lunch. 

 The Oyster House is modeled after the classic fish house of New York City. It wasn't crowded
 for Saturday lunch, but during the week it's much more difficult to find a coveted seat at the bar. 

My day today was very average, but I enjoyed every minute spent outdoors and seeing friends at Weight Watchers. First stop of the day was Weight Watchers, my first day of physical therapy, a visit to the library to return an overdue book and a quick stop at the grocery. I'm pleased to report that there was more than adequate stock of both toilet paper and paper towels. How was your day, dear friends?

As ever, thanks for visiting. I'll be back tomorrow with thoughts on hand washing, our new global activity, and prayer. Take good care!

11 comments

Ginny Hartzler said...

The Oyster House is gorgeous! I think it is good for us to post about this virus. See how we are all doing, and have our own little group to voice our thoughts with. Phil & I are both in the high risk group, as I guess you are. We are very close to social distancing at this point. I know your posts will be just as interesting as always. You can show us your roof, things in your home, street scenes as well. Plus news from your area. Yes, a black swan indeed. Or as Poe would say, I think I hear a raven at the window.

Ginny Hartzler said...

P.S. I have seen real black swans. They are strangely gorgeous.

Susan said...

I saw black swans at a Japanese park in Hawaii. So beautiful. I also saw a turtle come up from the water and try to bite the swan's foot. I am in that age bracket too. The UC system is going online to as classes have been cut. You can't find hand sanitizer anywhere. I worry about my grandkids if schools close. We watch them when they are off.

I was in NY in 2008 for a couple of days and I loved it. I have pictures at my website that is linked at my blog.

Carol said...

Oh you make me want to visit New York more than ever, but like you said I am trying to remain home more and visit fewer large events. I know that this virus is a flu strand, but my husband has health issues and breathing issues and I worry about bringing it home to him or the grand doll. My daughter works in a nursing home so I am extremely worried about her.

Curtains in My Tree said...


Oh The Pier, my friend never took me there when I was visiting her on Long Island.
Gosh 6 miles, I'm just to lazy I guess LOL to walk that far,my excuse I have lots other things I want to do,and don't take time to walk
I love all your adventures, Weight Watchers hit one of my buttons! I need to get on a good eating routine and STICK to it

Thanks for the pictures, the coronovirus has hit my town Columbia Missouri, the University of Missouri here has closed. My Parish has really cut back on Mass, no serving wine or touching each other to welcome anyone etc
I'll look again today for hand sanitizer

Carry on and be healthy

Louca por porcelana said...

Beautiful pics!I had been in NY a long time ago...More than 20 years!It is in my "Bucket list" going there again with my sons and hubby! Hugs!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I like the title Black Swan to describe these terrible days. So many events have been cancelled here and even some schools closing, and offering online classe instead. Glad you got a chance to get out and get some fresh air. Stay in at home is going to quickly become a way of life. Take care and stay healthy, no need to take any chances. That roof top sound like the way to go.

Mevely317 said...

Like Ma, I really like the label, Black Swan. I'm all about taking reasonable and healthy measures to prevent the spread of disease … but not particularly alarmed. Last night our Chief Meteorologist held a (non-political) poll asking on a scale of 1-10, how concerned are we. I was somewhat surprised, the overwhelming majority answered "1" or "2."

Chatty Crone said...

There was a movie with a women who played a black swan - forgot her name. Beautiful though.
How is the virus up there?
All schools and everything are closed here starting Monday....

Karen said...

THANK YOU FOR THE PHOTOS OF MANHATTAN. I THOUGHT OF YOU WHEN I HEARD THE THEATERS AND MUSEUMS CLOSED. MY SON'S COLLEGE ALSO CLOSED FOR AT LEAST 3 WEEKS. HE SAID THE GROCERY SHELVES IN BROOKLYN WERE GETTING BARE TODAY.I AM PRAYING THAT THE VIRUS GOES AWAY SOON.

TARYTERRE said...

synchronicity. my hubby told me all about the black swan scenario when the market crashed earlier in the week. i had never heard of it before but it certainly describes whats happening all around us. love that picture of the oyster house. do they sell oysters rockefeller? love it. also eat them raw.