Powered by Blogger.

The Journey of 1,001 Miles

Saks Fifth Avenue sound and light show, Fifth Avenue


Last Wednesday December 6 the "Mileometer" once again passed the 1,000 mile mark, and with a lot of walking for the day, I actually passed the 1,001 marker. As of this afternoon I've walked 1,011 miles and have set a new goal for this year of 1,050 miles. There were a few times of challenge, would I or would I not make it? But with assistance from my orthopedist for a stress fracture in my knee, my spinal team -- a new bout of stenosis -- and my wonderful physical therapist, Sally, who helps keep me going, this 73 year old was able to walk over 1,000 miles. 

This is the seventh year I've had this goal and the fifth where I've achieved it. I had my hip replaced in 2019 and that meant a few months of (much) less walking and in 2020 I only walked 919 miles due to significantly diminished activity. 

This year I walked in seven states -- though it was only the corner of Vermont -- Puerto Rico, England and France. I don't have much planned for next year yet, but I hope to walk in at least as many states and a few countries besides the United States, too.     

Most of my walking was done in New York City, both in local neighborhood walks and those times I've been a tourist in my own town. One of those times took place last week when I braved the crowds to visit Rockefeller Center and see the sound and light show at Saks Fifth Avenue. Despite the rain the tree and the lights were fabulous and didn't disappoint. 

The Rockefeller Center Christmas tree. beautiful even in the rain


I always enjoy this display on Sixth Avenue, near Radio City Music Hall


We've entered the super-busy season of the year. On reflection we're well into it. I was keeping up well last week, but as ever my card-writing needs a big boost. I've just got one more trip to the post office and then wrapping and card writing to do. This is not a complaint at all about cards and seasonal activities. I'm so enjoying the cards that are arriving and am grateful for everyone who's taken the time and effort to keep in touch. 

As ever, thanks for visiting and take good care. 

9 comments

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the great achievement and such an inspirational goal for all of us. Enjoy the holidays.

Deanna Rabe said...

Congratulations, Carole!

The tree looks pretty this year!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Yay! for you on all the walking. That is wonderful. I can no longer walk much and miss it. I used to do a lot of walking too. Wishing you many more miles and a successful new year!

Lynda said...

I LOVE the pictures! Our son-in-law's parents were there last week with a bus tour from this area. They loved seeing the store windows and also the things you have shown us.
So many of us empathize with the aging issues that continue to plague us all. In the "dark" room at the eye doctor's office today, there were three other women. None of us knew each other but got to talking about things like hearing and vision loss and difficulty doing fine motor tasks with our hands. None of it is funny but we all did get really, really tickled and laughed about it. You have to laugh and persevere because the other side is discouragement and who wants that.?!!
We, your readers, are very, very proud of you and your accomplishments and your perseverance in spite of the speed bumps in life that have been put in your pathway.

Marcia said...

That is a great milestone.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Congrats to you, Carol, from a fellow walker who has also been getting in a lot of daily steps and luckily have not had any medical issues. Kudos to you for overcoming and keeping at it. Thanks for including the Rockefeller Tree, ambeautiful image.

Traveling Suitcase said...

I'm smiling ear to ear for your accomplishment. Well done, 7 years in a row. WOW! I've never looked at my stats on a yearly basis, so you had me curious. Like you, I'm 73, but I've not had to deal with physical therapy, surgeries etc...not this year anyway, lol. I've hit 1,236.31 miles from Dec 18 of 22 through today. To be fair, that's total, steps in day to day stuff, grocery shopping, yard work, mowing, and going for actual walks. The Tree is gorgeous, so glad you were able to get there and see things in person. I must go back and look at my records on fitbit beyond the current year, you have inspired me. Again Congrats at over coming your difficulties and maintaining your goal. Well done. I'm glad to know we're the same age. 1950 was a good year. Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Anne Payne said...

Wow!!! Congratulations!!! You are inspiring :-)

Theresa said...

I love seeing the beauty in your city! My Nieces just returned from their annual trip. They always love it and I am always jealous and I always say, "maybe next year I will visit"! One step at a time, you are reaching your goals! Enjoy your day dear friend, HUGS!