Powered by Blogger.

Nearing the End: The Journey of 1,000 Miles, 2022

A mile done on this rainy Wednesday

Before I get totally enmeshed in the annual seasonal photographs I want to do an update of the annual Journey of 1,000 Miles, 2022 version. Despite starting the year with my annual physical therapy sessions, I'm right on track to walk 1,000 miles this year. As of this minute, I've walked 960 miles, leaving me 40 miles until the end of the year. Without over-exertion I expect to complete walking 1,000 miles sometime in mid-December.  

I started this project in 2017 and expected to do it for a year, but found it such a good impetus for exercise that 2022 will be my sixth year. I kept going despite the pandemic, hip replacement and spinal stenosis and have walked 5,769 miles so far since the beginning of 2017. I looked it up and that's the distance from New York City to Cairo. 

I've begun to consider making 2022 my last year of counting. Not that I'll stop walking, but  accomplishing the "official" count, even though I am the only one counting, gives me a level of anxiety. I may call it The Journey of 750 Miles to take off some of the self-imposed pressure. 

I want to do an update on my other project for this fall, No (New) Clothes. I didn't make it, I bought new clothes. Early in the project I found that several pairs of my every day leggings were starting to fray. I could be pantsless, which would be quite awkward. In the last two months I bought three pairs of leggings, two on sale at Macy's and one at Costco, for a total of $30.00.

 I also noticed earlier this month that the winter coat that's been my mainstay for the last five years was starting to fray. I thought I might look for a new coat in January, after my No (New) Clothes project ended. But I saw in the Cyber Monday email from Land's End that a down coat I had admired was $60.00. I also saw that my size and preferred color, navy, happened to be available. Click, click, click and the new coat is on its way. I'm going to make every effort to restrain from any further clothing purchases in 2022. Has anyone else joined this project?  

Besides my walk this afternoon and making French toast (a rainy day indulgence) this morning I'm not sure where today went. I'm earmarking an hour tonight to wrapping presents to mail and doing cards. What are your plans?

As ever, thanks for visiting and have a good evening.   

7 comments

Marcia said...

Today I finished decorating the tree. Photos to post on Saturday.

Congrats on your walking goal. How many pairs of shoes did that require?

Brenda said...

Did 1900 n 2020 from March to Dec after the Fitbit…mostly with a cane…last year over 1500…on target this year for between 1500 to 1700. Every step painful…but it keeps me going.good for you…one grandgirl suggested when I started…don’t stress just do…

Linda said...

I can understand the counting could be stressful and keeping track of it all. You are pretty amazing to walk as much as you do!

I'm doing some Christmas cards every morning. And enjoying my decorating!

Are you as surprised as I am when something actually wears out?? It always takes me by surprise for some reason. But I have so many clothes it's not many that I wear over and over and over again!

Terra said...

You set a great goal for steps and another successful year of reaching your goal. I hadn't thought of counting the miles walked, my phone app counts my steps. Each day as I reach my step goal confetti showers on the app, so I feel I am a big success. You did well by limiting your buying to only essential clothes, I find it hard to cut back on that.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Congratulations on walking all those miles. You did good ! I don't walk much at all anymore and miss it very much. Most of my walking is done at the grocery store with a cart in front of me. You found some great deals on your new clothing. Lucky you ! I have so many clothes here, I don't think they'll ever wear out. So no new clothing here. I do my shopping in the storage bins where I have them packed away. Changing the seasonal clothing around is a job for me. I just finished getting fall clothes out and now it is time for Christmas and winter. I love wearing Christmas sweaters and shirts. I just need to find them!

Little Wandering Wren said...

Congratulations Carol and lovely to know that for a few of your 1,000 steps I was with you! I love this goal but I too would find it stressful. Enjoy your new coat it is definitely needed here in London this week!
Wren x

Brenda said...

My Fitbit does the counting. No stress