Powered by Blogger.

It's No-Spending January

  Spending temptation is everywhere

It's not just a new month, year and decade, it's time for the return of No-Spending January. I've "celebrated" this event for several years and found it a great way to cut back on spending for things I really don't need. I noted that I've also celebrated No-Spending February, April, September and October in years past. I'm sure they were helpful in being more conscious about random spending, but January has been the most successful time to refocus on spending and money saving. 

My rules are simple, no spending on things. I can buy groceries, cleaning supplies, meals out and tickets for events. I can buy a gift for an occasion -- birthday, wedding or if someone is in the hospital. That's it. No clothes on sale, no makeup, no holiday decor at half-price. I'm adding to this year's list that I won't be going out to lunch unless I'm meeting a friend or I'm unable to get home at a reasonable time for lunch. 

No-Spending January in real-life:

January 2: Mild temptation at the dress rack

Between my Weight Watcher's meeting and lunch with my friend, B, I spent fifteen minutes at the local Bloomingdale's outlet. I noticed this rack of clothing, and yes, I was tempted. First I remembered it was No-Spending January as opposed to Spend Wildly December. Then I realized I didn't need very dressy and pricey outfits. My schedule didn't include anything where I needed a new cocktail dress, and three, we all know pink is the color for the spring. Since this was only a mild temptation, I'm not counting it as a saving. 

January 3: Red Alert

After my Yoga class this afternoon I made a quick trip to one of my favorite discount stores. I knew danger lurked there, but I wanted to buy gum. Generally I buy a lot more than gum there, and against my better sense, I took a quick walk through the aisles. Aren't the red truck sheets the cutest thing? Could I use them? Yes and sort of. If this was last week, those sheets would have gone home with me. The watermelon chapstick (1.99) would have gone home with me, too, plus the gum and protein bars. I bought the latter for $3.56, but left the sheets and the chapstick for another month, or never. 
My saving was $11.98. I also came home for lunch and my estimated saving for eating at home was $10.00.
Saving for January 3: $21.98.  

The last two days made me aware that my spending issues aren't big ticket items, but lots of little things. I'm optimistic that if I can continue throughout January I will have set the pattern for the rest of the year. If not, there's No-Spending February, March and May to help me along. Is anyone else doing a No-Spending January? 

As ever, thanks for visiting and have a great weekend. 
   

16 comments

Ginny Hartzler said...

What a great idea, so hard though!! I do not have no spending months, but I only shop for clothes at Goodwill, and maybe Wal-Mart. I can get winter coats at Goodwill for six dollars, and blouses for four dollars. Last month I got a lot of leggings at Wal Mart for $4.44 each. These sheets are adorable. So what store are they in??

Theresa said...

Good for you! I went to Walmart yesterday to get food items for our Christmas with my Grandkids this weekend, nothing extra just what I needed and it was still a lot of $$. I know I can cut down on needless spending too. After December... it is needed:) Have a blessed day dear friend, HUGS!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I'm not a big shopper so I don't take part in anything like this. I usually shop when I need something and then I have to make myself go to the mall and look for it! lol (and then I get odd things that I don't even need! hahahah) I know it must be tempting with so many beautiful things close to where you live! Hugs!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I need to join you in no spending for unnnessary items. Like you it's the little things for me that add up too. Coming off vacaiion will be the perfect time for me to do this.

Linda said...

Sigh, sadly, I blew it yesterday...well... my husband blew it. Darn Christmas lights and decorations get me every time--oops I mean my husband, LOLOL.

Susie said...

Carol, I need to mention this to my daughters. LOL I used to love hitting those sales racks when I worked...and of course when I was younger. :)Your post made me think of a lady comedian , can't remember her name, she used to say she would buy a dress to have change for some gum. LOL You sounds as if you have the no buying thing down pat...good for you, love your will power. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

Mevely317 said...

I'd forgotten about observing a "No-Spending" month. Thanks for citing your examples. January's already out of the question, but happily I've 11 more months from which to choose. Don't let me forget, OK? :)

Chatty Crone said...

At first I thought you might be buying that pink jacket if it was on sale. I think that is a great thing not to buy in January. I am going to try to try that - it is going to be hard though. Sandie

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hello - I am a new visitor to your blog. I love the idea of not spending in January. Hubby and went to a thrift store this morning after going to the bank and he found some books and I found a plaid flannel shirt and a puffy vest. Couldn't pass those necessities up. ;-) Seriously, I think this is a splendid idea. I will be back to visit your blog again. Have a good weekend!

collettakay said...

I'm going to WW also! I just had my meeting this morning and was only down .4 lbs. Better than a gain, I guess! Good luck with "No Spend January". I'm a new follower :)

Colletta

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

I agree that no spending January is a good idea and thankfully I'm not tempted by things at the mall as we rarely go there. However, thrift store spending is another matter, but only IF there's a good bargain and preferable on something(s) that will be given to others and not just for myself. I would have been tempted by those flannel sheet as well since we live in NH, but thankfully the 2 sets I have (LL Bean) will last for many more years, especially since they're only used a few months out of 12!

Lori said...

Those sheets are so cute!!! Thanks for visiting my blog! Have a great weekend!

http://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

Sandy said...

I have never actually done anything such as give it a title or actually follow through with a no spending month, but I am doing it this month for the first time. All last year I really cut back on frivolous spending and I am really trying hard to be mindful of it.

Lynda, the new west sider said...

I should have a no-spending 2020.
I've watched my savings take a hit after buying an apartment which needs a few big ticket items and the three front implants needed because of the bad fall I took, no-spending is the name of the game for me. (Implants are really pricey in NYC, but they are a necessity.)

When all of that is paid for, I may treat myself to a small fun item to celebrate. Then again I may not.

Great-Granny Grandma said...

What a great idea to have a no spending month.
I'm trying to cut down on frivolous spending, and also focus on being more mindful of how the little inexpensive items can quickly add up and not be so quick to buy something I don't really need just because it seems cheap.

TARYTERRE said...

sounds like a great idea. unfortunately i've already blown it by buying my christmas and hanukkah cards for next year at 75 percent off. which still adds up because i bought a gazillion of them at $1.25 a piece. but i am seriously thinking about the example you set and will pick another month to try it.