Powered by Blogger.

The Best Laid Plans of Mice and Women, 2024 Edition

 

When did buying a lamp get so complicated?

It was the afternoon of January 5th and I was rocking no-spending. I'd walked by at fifty stores and didn't go into even one, unless it was for a needed grocery item and that includes a visit to Target. No cute things accompanied me to the register. I've deleted what seems like hundreds of emails promising me the best sales I've ever seen. Deleted, deleted, deleted without a second look. 

All that changed. I came home from the library and went to turn on the floor lamp that is the main source of light in my living room. Nothing. I changed the bulb. Nothing. I checked to see if the lamp was plugged in. Nothing. I flicked the central light switch. Nothing. It's an old building and there isn't any overhead light in the living room. Without the floor lamp, it's like being in a cave. 

The lamp is an inheritance from parents and it's at least 70 years old. It's extremely well made -- why it's lasted this long -- and very sturdy. I appreciate having it, but I'm not especially sentimental about it. I think it could be rewired, but not by me and at what cost? I ponder this for a few minutes and decide I need to get a new lamp for the living room and I need to do it soon. 

I search Amazon, Walmart and Costco, amazing that I can do all this while sitting in my living room. I'm dazzled by phrases that are new to me, including "color temperatures." I find  the lamp that I think will work on both the Amazon and Walmart websites. I go with Amazon because they can deliver it tomorrow and Walmart's estimated delivery date is Tuesday.  I load my cart, push the buttons and pray that the easy assembly is as easy as it looks. 

This is the story of how on the fifth day of the first month of 2024 I broke No Spending January, but it beats living in a cave. I ordered it eight hours ago and I got an email several hours ago letting me know that the lamp has been shipped. 

I'm going to be optimistic that the $49.95 I've just spent will be the only money I  spend for things this month. I've got renewed enthusiasm for keeping my commitment to No Spending, and now it's back to walk on by and delete, delete, delete. 

How was your Friday? I skipped the gym today because my subway line wasn't running and I was unsure how crowded the buses would be. I did get in three miles of walking, a visit to the library where I read most of the latest New Yorker and I bought a lamp. 

As ever, thanks for visiting and take good care.  
  

9 comments

Linda said...

Oh, I hate when things like this happen, smiles. Why was the subway line not working? Just wondering. Wishing you a beautiful day friend.

Lynda said...

You don't usually break your "no spending January" rule in all the years I remember. Necessary replacement items seem to be a good exception to that rule. It is a wonderful age we live in with electronics and ordering for sure!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

It's a cold day here and snow is expected. Sorry about your lamp, but I would say you certainly got your money's worth out of its. They don't make things that last so long anymore. Lamps are expensive so you got a good deal. We just never know when the last day of old things might come and unexpected expenses do come up. It is a necessity for you, so don't feel bad.

Latane Barton said...

There is nothing worse than sitting in a dark room so I am happy you let the old lamp go and have a great, new one on the way.

Marcia said...

When something breaks it's hard not to replace it. in your case it was a must.
What I did today? Painting! We are redoing my bathroom/laundry room. Today I used Kils paint on the stained cabinets over the washer and dryer then in the afternoon put on the first of two coats of a light gray paint. It will match the vanity that's coming at the end of the month. It's definitely not a no spend month for us between new washer & dryer and cabinet plus plumber's work to replace tub we are keeping the economy going. Oh, and then paying for 6 roundtrip ticketss to Switzerland for June! Ouch!

Great-Granny Grandma said...

A necessary replacement item shouldn't count.
I had to buy a replacement filter for my water purifier because I forgot to do it in December. Other than that, I've been doing good.

Theresa said...

Sometimes you just have to replace things. I use a lamp handed down by my Mother-in-law many years ago. I hope it keeps shining light on me😊. We have some really old things in our home. We had to replace the broiler unit in our oven for the 2nd time recently. Enjoy your day dear friend. Hugs

Valerie said...

Ohhh, I have never heard/done a "No Spending January". I think I need to do this. Does this include "bills" like electric/gas/Hulu???? LOL

Happy January

Val

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

While your "no spending January" goal is a good one, sometimes you have to make an exception and getting a new lamp can be deemed a necessity. Hope the delivery and then assembly go well, Carol.

Even though you skipped the gym you did get in a lot of walking. Thankfully, it's easy for me to get to the gym daily as it's in the same mill apartment complex and walking there is all indoors. I have been striving for 10,000+ steps a day, knowing that it's not necessary to reach that number daily, but still a goal.