Powered by Blogger.

Once Again, It's No Spending January

 

They're posting sale notices, but not for me! 
It's No Spending January

It's the fourth day of January and so far I'm quite cheerfully sticking to my No-Spending rules for January. For new citizens of Buttercupland, the rules are simple. No buying things, i.e., no buying clothes, makeup, on sale holiday things and anything else that is cute, costs money and catches my eye. These are the basic rules I made up ten years ago -- I think -- when I began No Spending January. Some years I've added limiting snacks or tickets to events, but this year I'm going back to basics. 

I began the tradition after the excesses of December and what seemed like a ridiculous spendy holiday season. I made a big exception in January 2018 when I went to Australia and realized there would be things that I wanted and possibly needed to buy. I resumed No Spending in February when I returned and there was absolutely nothing I needed to buy. 

I thought about not doing No Spending this year, mainly because I was getting email for some great sales. I was sure there would be something I desperately needed. I realized that was all the more reason to put my self-created spending rules in place. I don't need a new winter coat or boots or a hat, no matter how fabulous the sale appears. I've got leggings and fleece and I think I'm okay for the next month and probably a lot longer. 

I've got a couple of things in my Amazon cart, but they will just have to stay there until February. I'm also contemplating a new television set, but that too will wait until February or maybe even March. I'm looking at travel plans for the year, but unless something fabulous and unforeseen happens, those, too, will wait for February. It's not that I won't do anything in January, I just don't plan to buy anything except food, tickets for events and medications. I'm optimistic that this "money reset" will lead to more thoughtful spending in the rest of 2024. 

If the idea intrigues anyone else, I hope you'll join me. No Spending loves company. The rules I've described are my rules. You may choose to included other categories that make sense to you. It's all a path to being more thoughtful about money.

As ever, thanks for visiting and keep cozy.  

4 comments

Lynda said...

I am proud of you for doing this again. It will be encouragement to others. It doesn't seem possible that it has been ten years since you started this.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Good for you, saving and not spending. I could easily do that too, as I really do have all I need. I want to wait until after I move to buy anything new, otherwise I'll be leaving it behind. I'm very limited on what I can take with me. As it stands right now I will be giving away a lot of stuff. So no spending for me either. I'll need things when I move, so I'm saving for that. Keep up the good work!

Carol said...

I try not to purchase unneeded items in January. This year though I purchased a movie ticket and a book already, so I guess I am already off to a bad start. LOL

Great-Granny Grandma said...

I am also doing a no spending January.