Powered by Blogger.

My Kind of Celebration


My first stop on the coffee trail began with a cup of hot coffee at my favorite coffee cart in the neighborhood. 
 
 Twenty four hours ago I'd never heard of this event and now here I am joining the celebration. What celebration? Today is officially National Coffee Day. Of course I celebrate coffee every day, but it's nice to have a day dedicated to one of my favorites in life. Besides drinking coffee I decided to document coffee in my immediate neighborhood. I had a meeting a mile from home. As I walked home I found a number -- a large number -- of places, either dedicated to coffee, or including coffee. My photographs were taken during a half mile of my walk only on one side of the street.

Two blocks north of the coffee cart I stopped at Fairway, a New York chain, to visit the coffee bean section. They had a great assortment of beans and the aroma was fabulous. 

Two blocks further north I passed Maison Kayser, an upscale bakeshop and restaurant. They have very good bread and beautiful pastries, as well as an extensive coffee menu. 

On the same block I passed Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf, a national chain that is less upscale than Maison Kayser. The coffee is good and they have lots of seating. Amazingly, considering the number of places that feature coffee. it's sometimes difficult to find a seat. As an aside the store to the right, Westside Market, is where I made the sighting of the rare pumpkin yogurt.

These are a few that stood out. Oren's, which I wrote about in April during my search for the best coffee in New York, was also in this ten block stretch of Broadway. If you're surprised I didn't include Starbucks, it's not because there are none. There are two locations within these ten blocks, but they are on the other side of the street.
 
My best celebration of National Coffee Day, however, took place a few blocks north of the places photographed. I made a cup of Breakfast Blend Katahdin Specialty Coffee, which was a gift from my thoughtful friend, B. It was delicious, especially served in my Buttercup mug. Thanks B and Taryterre for your help in celebrating National Coffee Day.

Any other coffee fans in Buttercupland? Please let us know how you joined in the celebration.

Overnight it has turned to fall. I wore a jacket today and my open toe sandals are officially put away for the winter. There are pumpkins everywhere and it won't be very many more days before flannel and fleece makes appearances.

As ever, thanks for visiting and take good care.

 

7 comments

Paula said...

I have never heard of this celebration too. But I DID make a fresh pot of coffee this morning and drank two cups!!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I do love coffee and without a doubt have several cups every day. With the cooler weather the warmth of a good cup of coffee is appreciated more than usual.

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

I love the smell of coffee, but not the taste. I am a tea lady, but a few times in my life have tasted Irish coffee. That I liked, but couldn't sleep for days.

Theresa said...

I would love to sit at that little cafe with a cup of coffee:) Enjoy your day dear friend, HUGS!

Unknown said...

I was not aware of the celebration, but still managed to do it justice. Two mugs of coffee at breakfast, and a 'large' of my favorite Southern Pecan from a neighborhood convenience store. So, I think I observed the day! Love your photos of New York!

Stephanie said...

I can't believe I have never heard of National Coffee Day! My husband and I love our coffee {{smiles}}

I hope you are well, sweet friend. Enjoy the weekend! Hugs!

Mimi said...

Fun to see all your coffee spots. My "spot" is limited to my own pot. The nearest coffee shop is nearly 20 miles away. (I don't count the coffee at McDonald's--although it's not bad.)