Powered by Blogger.

Let Us Have Peace

 

The resting place of President Ulysses S. Grant and his wife, Julia

If you enlarge this photograph and look very carefully you'll see the epitaph for President Grant, most known for his military career, "Let Us Have Peace." When President Grant died in 1885, his desire to rest next to his wife, Julia Dent Grant, made burial in a military cemetery impossible. Instead it was decided that he would be entombed in a mausoleum that would be built in New York City. The granite and marble structure was dedicated in 1897. When Julia Grant died her remains were brought to the site known as Grant's Tomb

The two-term President's accomplishments include one that many of us value and a great gift to our country. In 1872 President Grant signed the act that established the first national park, Yellowstone. 

I visited the mausoleum after the Running of the Goats, which  took place in the park, which is across the street. It's a great neighborhood, including Riverside Church, Columbia University and Union Theological Seminary. 

Somewhat belatedly, I'm happy to share the winner of the mystery novel giveaway, Deb, at A Day in the Life. Deb will be receiving The Terrible Tide and Amends for Murder, which both look like good summer mystery reading. Over at Coffee Light and Mysteries Noir
the winner was Jeanie, at The Marmelade Gypsy. Congratulations to the winners. I wish I had books for everyone who entered. 

As ever, thanks for visiting and keep cool.   

5 comments

Deb J. in Utah said...

Oh, I am so excited! Thank you. I know I will enjoy those books. I am always on the lookout for a good mystery. Thank you again!! I honestly did not know where U.S. Grant was buried. I know he was from Illinois, and but did not realize that his tomb is in NYC. I always thought Grant was a very interesting guy. I once heard he was rated by historians as the worst president, but I would call that into question, especially after some of our recent leaders. Anyway, the books will be read and appreciated. Again, thank you so much!

Iris Flavia said...

Congrats to the winners and thank you for history lesson. I just come over from William, who gave me one, also!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I remember hearing of Grants Tomb but didn't realized it was in NYC. I love the inscription. Let there be peace. Hope you have a peaceful and relaxing Sunday !

Chatty Crone said...

I love to learn about history like that - thanks!

Edna B said...

That's a beautiful inscription! You have a wonderful day, hugs, Edna B.