Powered by Blogger.

Introducing Two Friends of Girl With a Pearl Earring

 
After my film evening with Rembrandt, I decided to see his work in New York and spent a wonderful Sunday afternoon at the Metropolitan Museum of Art. I visited Rembrandt's work, and then paid a visit to see the Vermeer paintings in the collection. Girl With a Pearl Earring has long resided in the Hague, but I got to spend time with two other paintings. I'd like to think that two of her friends are depicted in these paintings.  
 

 
"Study of a Young Woman"
 
 

"A Maid Asleep"

My photographs don't do justice to the intricate detail of Vermeer's work. It was as though I'd stepped into a room in Seventeenth Century Delft, where Vermeer spent his life. As is often the case when I am viewing the permanent collection at the Metropolitan Museum, there were only two other people in the gallery, besides my friend, Mary and me. I am always in awe to spend time with these beautiful works without crowds surrounding me.


 The Sculpture Court and Central Park beyond it.
 
 
I'm not sure that I'll be able to do so every week, but my goal is to visit the Museum once a week for the rest of the year. To give myself a running start I've signed up for a three-part lecture series on Japanese art, which begins next week. I will definitely share photographs of pieces that I especially enjoy. Let me know if there's a gallery you would like me to visit.  
 
 
The snow is just about tapering off. I am hopeful that this is our last somewhat big storm for the season. I am thrilled to look at the weather predictions for next week and see 4 and yes, 5, as the first number of our temperatures. It may snow again, but things will start to get warmer. Can't wait to tuck my boots away.
 
As ever, thanks for visiting and take good care.

10 comments

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

It looks like such a beautiful museum. I've never been. One day perhaps.


Deanna

Nellie said...

Shucks, I lost my comment somehow! Oh, well. I love these paintings, and Girl With a Pearl Earring is a favorite, too.

Sounds as though you've had a good cozy day. Seven inches of snow in NYC? Really? Stay warm, and enjoy that hot tea!

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

How wonderful that you got to enjoy the art without being surrounded by crowds.

BLOGZOOM said...



Wonderful Thank you for share. It is a beautiful museum. I've never been there, but I want to visit soon.

Cheers

Sola Scriptura said...

I really want to visit that museum!

Tracy said...

How lovely to have a museum to yourself mostly. You can go at your own pace and not feel rushed.

Scrappy quilter said...

I'm a little green with envy here. What a wonderful place to visit.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Did you buy a years membership to the museum, Carol? I did that with MoMA for the Van Gogh show and loved visiting multiple times afterward. My favorite Vermeer is the called The Cook...I love the light shining through the window on her as she works.

Linda said...

Ohhh Buttercup, I know of those paintings, too bad you are 6 hrs away. I have to visit "ART" over the spring break (for another project), hubby said we can go to the Corning Glass Museum, however, I would very much prefer to go to the Met. Museum, looks so nice and pretty, sigh, one day. Thank you for sharing. Blessings

Annesphamily said...

I love art so much! I think this summer I am going to get my hubby to go to the art district with me in Denver and look at the local artist market. But I am a lover of most art. Your photos are quite lovely. I own one piece of original art work. My friend Sharon has a friend Dana from Oklahoma. Dana is a Native American artist and she features Native Americans in her art work. When Nick was born Sharon had Dana create a small piece of art that features a little Native American boy who is going under a fence and catches his britches on barbed wire. It shows his tiny backside peeking! It is quite precious to me and I will give it to Nick when he has his own home someday. Dana lost her brother to HIV several years ago. :-( Anyway, I think your lecture series will be very interesting. Enjoy and thank you for sharing these beautiful paintings and phoots today.