Powered by Blogger.

See the USA: Iowa and Nebraska

 

Check: States forty seven and  forty eight

Somehow it's September and I'm back in New York after a wonderful and whirlwind visit to Nebraska and Iowa. My thought when I booked the trip was to visit two states I had yet to visit. Iowa and Nebraska would put me very close to visiting every state in United States. Of course, the trip wasn't just about setting foot in both states. I looked up the sights in Omaha and there was definitely more than enough to see for the three days that I would be there. And there certainly was more than enough to see. 

The Old Market Area

I stayed in the Old Market area, which had once been the wholesale area of Omaha. The old brick buildings have been repurposed and it was a great area to stay in, with coffee shops, restaurants and stores. It was also convenient to the sites I wanted to visit and though there was a lot of construction in downtown Omaha -- a light rail system is being built -- I was able to figure out how to walk to my destinations. 

The banks of the Missouri River and the Riverfront area, a great place to walk




I thought I'd done my research well, but one of the great surprises was the National Park Visitor Center about the Lewis and Clark Historic Trail. This area had been an important part of the Trail and it was an unexpected pleasure to learn more about this important part of American history.  

In three days I was able to enjoy the Old Market, walk the Bob Kerry Pedestrian Bridge to Iowa, visit the Kiewit Luminarium (science museum), the fabulous Joslyn art museum, 
the National Park Center, the Riverfront and eat some of the best ice cream I've ever had at the iconic Ted and Wally's. Through no planning on my part, it just happened that Ted and Wally's was across the street from my hotel. I'm still dreaming of the maple walnut ice cream. 
  
The ice cream of dreams

Now it's time for the "Ber" months, which I know will fly by. Rosh Hashanah is next week and I noticed Halloween and Thanksgiving cards at the store today. I'm going to enjoy these last few weeks of summer before I jump into the round of autumn activities and holidays. 

As ever, thanks for visiting and have a great September. 

No comments