I am so not ready for Halloween
Hey, Boos! I know I've been away way too long and no real reason. Though I did have a keyboard issue last week, which after a few days of time spent with Google, is now in the past. I'm glad it's resolved, but computer issues do put me in a tizzy. I don't miss much about working, but I definitely miss the IT staff we had and how helpful they were.
It's still summer in New York, and these last few weeks have been lovely. There's been some rain, but nothing I've wanted to do has been rained out. I've managed a great day in Brooklyn looking at one of my favorite views of Manhattan and a visit to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. I haven't been to either of the latter in the last few decades and it was way overdue.
I didn't spend much time at the Museum, though there's a lot to see. My visit was to take a hard-hat tour through the restoration work being done on abandoned the hospital section, which had been closed to the public for the last 60 years. We had a wonderful guide from the Save Ellis Island Foundation and it was a fascinating visit to the past. Most of my family came to the United States via Ellis Island and I spent some time in the document section where I found the manifest of the ship my grandparents arrived on in April, 1914.
The view of the Statue of Liberty from a window in the Isolation Ward of the Hospital.
This was the section for patients with tuberculosis.
I leave on Wednesday for Omaha. It's a quick visit, but another stop on my quest to see all fifty states. I've got a sight-seeing itinerary and a list of fun restaurants, including two "must visit" ice cream shops. One is only a five minute walk from my hotel, so I know that will be one of my first stops in Omaha.
If you enjoy my New York photographs, please stop by my Facebook page. I've been posting regularly there and I'd love to have you visit.
As ever, thanks for visiting and enjoy the waning days of summer.

No comments
Post a Comment