Powered by Blogger.

What Will They Think Up Next?

 

I'm at Sweet Pickle Books -- Selfie on the right

I took a field trip with a few friends over the weekend and one of our stops was Sweet Pickle Books on Orchard Street. Once one of the first neighborhoods where the great wave of immigrants settled at the end of the Nineteenth Century, it's now a very hip  neighborhood. The tenements and street vendors -- yes, lots of pickle vendors -- have been replaced by upscale restaurants and stores. I don't get there often -- it's on the far east side of Manhattan and two train lines away -- but when my friend suggested it I was happy to add it to my day. 

Sweet Pickle sells used and rare books and pickles. Yes, it's an odd combination, but it's a quirky neighborhood and somehow it works beautifully. They also sell cute merchandise and it was very tempting to think about a Sweet Pickle hat or tote bag. 


Merchandise and great book shelves for browsing!


Here are the famous pickles. 

I was not only tempted by the books and shirts, but the pickles called my name. I definitely need a trip back here. 


Pep and Baby Yoda friends

This get-together was coordinated by one of the group of friends I met in Wildwood in the fall. Our next stop was the Lunar New Year Parade in Chinatown and the Baby Yodas and Pep were wearing bow ties created by my very talented friend Melissa. They all look so festive. I never thought of Pep as a bow tie guy, but he does wear it well. 

I'm not sure where I've been for the last few weeks, but realized it's almost two weeks since my last post, possibly my longest gap in blogging. All is well, just real-life good busy. I've had lots of company -- no complaint -- and I've got my first adventure of 2024 approaching with some planning yet to do. I hope all is well with my Buttercupland friends. 

As ever, thanks for visiting and a cheer for spring -- right around the corner.  


5 comments

Jeanie said...

This looks like my kind of store!

Great-Granny Grandma said...

What a creative idea for a store. I would never have thought of that combination (pickles and books).
I also found it interesting to read about the transformation of Orchard Street. Last time I was there must have been over 20 years ago.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

What a unique combination, Pickles and books! I love all kinds of pickles so I probably would have bought some. Nice your friends took you out further than your usual. It was worth the extra train trip. I can't wait to hear about your adventure plans. Since I'm going to be moving at the end of March, beginning of April, I'll be going on an adventure myself.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

What a great find, Carol, and that bookstore/pickle store would definitely be a return visit for myself. I would probably have bought the pickles vs. books as most of my reads come from the local library. yes, you have been missed in blog-land, but having fun and visiting with friends always takes precedence! It will be nice to learn about your upcoming trips.

Little Wandering Wren said...

So lovely when I read this post, it takes me back to my time in a bookstore with you in both Manhattan and Melbourne. In fact, I'm wearing my NYC reading glasses you helped me choose right now!
Happy travels!
Wren x