Powered by Blogger.

See the USA

 

This is the coast of Maine, which is not one of the states on my yet to-see list 

One of the trips that was cancelled in 2020 included an October  visit to Kansas and then Oklahoma. I had a detailed plan to fly into Kansas City, visit with friends in Missouri and then drive with one of said friends to Oklahoma, from where I would fly back to New York. The purpose of the trip was to spend time with friends and to see two states that were new to me, Kansas and Oklahoma. Planning began in 2019 and then the wrecking ball of a year 2020 came along and the farthest from home I got that year was Connecticut, where I have been many, many times. 

Though I've come to back to traveling and trip planning I had put away my goal of seeing all fifty states. I originally got focused about it around 2000 and I've got six states left to visit. My rule is simple. I've got to eat at least one meal in a state to have it "count" as a visit. The states I have remaining in which to eat one meal are Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma and both of the Dakotas. 

In the intersection of events two tentative trips for this fall fell away and I spent time this week with two friends who have travel goals. One wants to see a game played in every major league baseball stadium and one is well on the way to visiting every National Park. The conversation reminded me of my travel goal, but I didn't even think to consider/plan/schedule anything until my tentative plans for the fall (and a definite) plan for the winter became no plans. I started with the cost of flights -- no small issue these days -- and saw that round  trip to Kansas City was within reason. So my friends, I'm (tentatively) planning a trip to Kansas City in early October. No set dates and no flights yet, but it's in my sights and if all goes as planned, there will be pictures from The Harry S. Truman Library and the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art.   

I will spend some time visiting friends in Missouri, but want to do some visiting in Kansas City, too. Any Kansas blog buddies in Buttercupland? 

Dear fifty states, I'm back on track. Iowa, Nebraska, Oklahoma and the Dakotas, it could be any year, and I hope, well before the end of this decade. Time's flying!  

It's been a quiet weekend, but it's the pause between two busy weeks. I'm back tomorrow with a floral Pink Saturday and hope to see you  again then.

As ever, thanks for visiting and have a happy weekend. 

4 comments

Deb J. in Utah said...

Visiting all of the states sounds like a fun goal. My husband and I want to visit all of the National Parks eventually. Hope you are having a good weekend. See you again soon.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I don't travel much further than Ohio these days There are a lot of wonderful places right here in our state to visit. I would like to say I've visited every county, not every state like you. The United States is beautiful and each state has its own treasures to off...How beautiful is America!!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

That line should have read to show off. Enjoy your travels !

Anonymous said...

That’s very impressive! Many people I have met in USA have never left their county.
Do you collect something from each state?
Wishing you all the best on your travels!