Powered by Blogger.

My Trusted Friend

 

Farewell, my trusted friend

Somewhere during my junior year of college I decided I would look to leave the Northeast for graduate school. After looking  at all of my options and the onerous task of applying -- typing all of the essays individually on the typewriter above -- I accepted an offer from Vanderbilt University in Nashville. It was a different era and there wasn't a lot of flying around the country to visit my choices. Vanderbilt offered me a fellowship and in August 1972 I got on a plane at Bradley Airport, outside of Hartford and got off in Nashville. I had two things with me. I had my suitcase and my typewriter for a carryon. It was that precious to me and if it was lost I couldn't afford to replace it. I also couldn't do my school work without a typewriter. 

Years passed and the world changed and I've gone through more computers at home and at work than I can remember. But I never had the heart to give away my beloved Smith Corona, even if it sat in the front closet for 32 years. It had taken me through dozens of papers and many late nights where we heard the campus bells chime two and three o'clock in the morning. 

On Tuesday night I was scrolling through my local Buy Nothing Group. I'd offered a bag of bubble wrap and I was hoping someone had wanted it. I saw a post looking for an electric typewriter. The poster thought it was a "unicorn," i.e., practically an impossibility. I wrote back immediately and after several messages, my old friend went to a new home this afternoon. My new friend wanted a typewriter -- not a computer -- for her children to learn to type. I can't think of a better destiny for my typewriter friend. 

For those unfamiliar with Buy Nothing Groups, they're groups on Facebook -- there is an app, too -- for neighbors to give and get things. It's great for finding things you'd need/like and recycling all kinds of things. This week I've sent my typewriter, the bag of bubble wrap and a book to new homes. Besides the benefit of recycling, it's made my big New York world a lot smaller.  

I'm feeling a little melancholy tonight. It's thankfully not often I say goodbye to a friend of 50+ years. I know my friend will be loved and won't be stuck in the corner of the closet any longer, but it's a tough farewell. 

As ever, thanks for visiting and have a great weekend. 

14 comments

Deb J. in Utah said...

It's great that you could find a good new home for your "old friend." I love the idea of a "buy nothing" group. I hope you have a good weekend. I have been walking more and will post my steps/miles at the end of the month.

Terra said...

That is nice that your friend of 50 years will be used and appreciated again. The end of an era.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

While it was bittersweet to part with such an old “friend” Carol, the fact that your typewriter will be used vs. in a closet must certainly make you happy, as you said. I had a manual Smith Corona typewriter that saw me through many school papers.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

It feels really good to know you are giving it to someone that will use it. But it's hard...I know!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Good for you sharing your old friend with a new friends. Is was no longer needed by you but now will see some new use ! What a nice group to belong to. It's important to recycle things and not throw them out. One man's treasure is another mean's trash !

Mevely317 said...

I feel this! It may have a new home, but I know it left keystrokes on your heart.

Nellie said...

Oh, this would be difficult for me, though the old Royal upright typewriter I took to college with me was definitely like toting around a ton of bricks! It is somewhere else at this point. It’s wonderful that someone will be using yours to learn typing skills!

Lowcarb team member said...

A tough farewell indeed!
But so nice that your friend of 50 years will be used and appreciated again.

All the best Jan

Linda said...

I love your story! And I will look for the Buy Nothing group on Facebook!

A Bit of the Blarney said...

So glad your friend is not homeless. Thank you for this delightful post! Have a grand week!

Marcia said...

What a great reuse of the typewriter. I can understand how hard it was to part with it.

Theresa said...

We have my Mother-in-law's typewriter. She passed away years ago and we still have her precious typewriter as well as letters that she typed on it. I know yours will be enjoyed for years to come. Have a blessed day dear friend, HUGS!

Anonymous said...

Lovely to hear you passed on a treasure to be used my someone new! Happy Spring…time of RENEWAL.
Best, V.

Little Wandering Wren said...

I feel your pain Carol - I remember when I gave away my sewing machine to an Asylum Seeker who wanted to sew in detention. The good thing was it was going to a good home and not to a landfill somewhere.
Have a great weekend
Wren x