Powered by Blogger.

Pink Saturday Takes a Ride on the N Train

Pink Saturday took a ride on the N subway line and this is one of the treasures I discovered at the Eighth Avenue Station in Brooklyn. 

One of my favorite songs by the Beatles is "Got to Get You Into My Life."  I was humming the first few lines "I was alone, I took a ride, I didn't know what I would find there," after my subway trip to Brooklyn yesterday, because that was exactly my story. I went to Brooklyn to have lunch with my work colleagues, but I had no idea what I would find in the neighborhood.



I found this elevated station and the works of Olalekan Jeyifous, a visual artist based in Brooklyn. I did a series of postings on subway stations in 2018 and focused on both the areas where they were located and the art projects. I don't think I've ever been to this station -- there are over 450 -- and was captivated by the 28 murals in the "Made With Love" series. The murals depict the foods found in the diverse neighborhood surrounding the station. 


Love the mix of food and the subway and train tracks




I especially liked the colors of these two panels and on the right, the iconic coffee cup used in New York City diners. 


I was a little late for the lunch because I wanted to be sure and take photographs. I found the restaurant just a few blocks from the station and had a great time catching up and eating dim sum, small plates of Chinese appetizers. It was an hour long subway trip, but well worth it for the food, friendship and the art. I've spent some time this evening reading about other art installations around the city and I'm sure that I'll be sharing more of them this year. 

As ever, thanks for visiting and have a great week.   

4 comments

Terra said...

The only city I've lived in that has subways is Paris, it is a convenient way to travel, and that is very attractive and appropriate art you found in the station.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

How wonderful that they decorate wthe subway stations with art. A trip like that to visit and eat with friends would be worth it !

Lynda said...

I love that some subway stations have been able to do that and even happier that so far, no one has tried to deface them! I also like seeing murals on the sides of buildings like has been done in different cities - - and ours downtown. It takes work to revitalize and make beautiful the old dreary areas of our cities but so many have done that. They are to be commended.

Deb J. in Utah said...

New York City has interesting things at every turn! Thanks for sharing subway art. I hope you have a good week!