Powered by Blogger.

My Top Five Books of 2022 (Belatedly)

 

Lessons in Chemistry by Bonnie Garmus is not just Barnes and Noble's book of the year, but it's my book of the year. 

Just about everyone else who writes about books has posted/written about their favorite books of 2022. But I'm a fan of better late than not at all, and there are five (actually six) books that stand out for 2022.

My number one of the year is Lessons in Chemistry. I'm not alone in this and every woman I know who's read this -- and there are quite a number -- has liked it a lot. If I was working in a bookstore, as I did from 1973 to 1975, this would be my first choice recommendation. Funny, quick reading, thoughtful and characters that grab ones heart in the first few pages. The television series is set for this year on AppleTV with Brie Larson as Elizabeth Zott. 


The next four books are in no particular order, though Robert Harris' Act of Oblivion is very close in my esteem to Lessons in Chemistry, though the two books could not be more different. This work of historical fiction is set in the English Restoration. Oliver Cromwell is dead and a King Charles is once again on the throne of England.  Two of the regicides, the men who signed Charles I death warrant, are fugitives in America and are being hunted for their crime. This is not funny or quick reading, but it is thoughtful, well researched and the characters and the story are compelling. 

 The third book is The Latecomer by Jean Hanff Korelitz, which is has nothing in common with the first two books, but I found it an equally good read. It's set in not too far past New York City and it casts an updated Edith Wharton sensibility on a wealthy family. It is funny, not so quick reading, but thoughtful and despite times when the characters are wholly unlikeable, I happily read to the end. 

Two mystery novels complete my top five. The first is by my beloved Ann Cleeves. It's The Heron's Cry, the second book in her newest Two Rivers series, featuring the North Devon detective Matthew Venn. If you're a fan of the Vera Series and my personal favorite Detective Jimmy Perez of Shetland, please put this newest series on your reading list. A third novel in the series is scheduled for this fall. My second mystery choice is The Maid by Nita Prose. It's sweet, quick reading and features one of the most engaging sleuths I've come across in a long time. 

My sixth book of 2022 is Pride and Prejudice. It's not my favorite Jane Austen novel -- that title goes to Persuasion -- but the story of the Bennett girls never fails to engage me.  However there is one book that didn't engage me and I attempted to read it three times. The Lincoln Highway by Amor Towles was many people's favorite last year. The attached NPR review is the predominant opinion, but alas, though I tried and tried it wasn't for me. 

What were your top five books or just your favorite of the year? What's on your reading list now?

The cold snap of 36 hours is gone and it's walking weather again. I've been catching up on both walking and at home errands and besides a medical appointment hope to do the same tomorrow. My one exception this afternoon was "attending" a fascinating talk given by my so bright and accomplished Goddaughter via Zoom. 

As ever, thanks for visiting and happy reading. 

9 comments

GrammaH said...

Lessons in Chemistry is on hold, now, but the wait is LONG! 😄 I enjoyed The Maid and I'm totally with you on The Lincoln Highway! I listened to quite a bit before abandoning ship...but it had lots of rave reviews! 🙄

Deb J. in Utah said...

Thank you for these reviews! I will see if I can get Lessons in Chemistry from the library. It sounds like one I would like. I read The Maid last year, but was underwhelmed with it. I haven't even attempted The Lincoln Highway. It is always fun to see what other bloggers are reading and like. Have a great Tuesday!

NanaDiana said...

Thanks for the suggestions. I added a couple of them to my "need to read" list. Looking forward to Lessons In Chemistry first! xo Diana

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I read so many good books this past year it would be impossible for me to list my favorites. Thanks for sharing yours along with the book reviews. I'm always looking for my next best read.

Rogers Kathleen said...

I thought the talk went really well. I enjoyed it. I put the Harris book and the Korelitz on my to read list. ❤️K

Great-Granny Grandma said...

I just added myself to the long wait list for Lessons in Chemistry. (I'm #388).
My favorite was Amor Towles' Gentleman in Moscow.

Carol said...

I guess I will add Lessons in Chemistry to my to be read list. Like you said, better late than never.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I'll look for these books. I should go back and see which books I rated highest. I love to read!

P2P said...

I would add Mercy House by Alena dillon to the list of worthwhile reads, The Dutch House by Ann Patchett, Mrs. Wiggins by Mary Monroe and State of Wonder by Ann Patchett (although the ending of this book is disappointing.)