Powered by Blogger.

No (New) Clothes

 

In the spirit of No-Spending January, Buttercupland is introducing No (New) Clothes 2022.


About a week ago I read an article that discussed not buying new clothes for a year. I'm not in a clothes-buying mode, but still the thought of not adding any new clothes to my wardrobe seemed unlikely. But the idea stayed in my mind and the more I thought about it, the more sensible it became, at least for a few months. The article focused on new clothes, but left room for thrifting and resale sites. 


I know I'm well supplied for the fall and probably the winter, too. I just bought a new pair of leggings and I've got more than enough long-sleeve shirts to last for awhile. I'd like something new in fleece, but I don't need something new in fleece. I've got a couple of events coming up, but they are all with different people and my black wool long-sleeve dress will do just fine for all of them.  


Though the article called for a year, in Buttercupland I can make the rules. A year seems too extreme and I have my heart set on buying a new tote bag if I make it to a duty-free shop that carries my favorite brand. So I've set on the next three months. No (New Clothes)! The one exception will be a new pair of sneakers, which is a complete necessity.  But there will be no impulse purchases of t-shirts, socks and leggings, which are my usual quick impulse buys. I'm going to review this at the end of December and see if it works for an extension in in January.



The focus of the article was to cut down on clothing purchases which frequently end in landfills, which I fully endorse. But I'm adding a No-Spending element, too. I know I won't be able to keep up with a No-Sending October, November or December fully, but I can carve out a piece to cut down on expenses. Anyone else interested in joining me?


It's another beautiful early fall day in New York and I'm looking forward to a long-ish walk and a visit to my eye doctor this afternoon. As lovely as the weather is here, my prayers are with my friends in Puerto Rico and Florida. Stay safe, friends, and let us hear from you!  


As ever, thanks for visiting and thanks, as always, for your friendship.

7 comments

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I'll join you. I hav los of clothes and just need to wear all I have already. Thankfully I haven't changed clothing siize in a long time so everything still fits. If and when I can let go of some of what I have, that will be when I can finally buy something new. It will be awhile as I'm just getting out my fall clothing right now. I love my comfy old clothes.

Marcia said...

My last clothing purchases were for underclothes specifically sleeveless undershirts for layering this winter. Well, starting now so that the thermostat can remain at 65º.

Carrie @ Cottage Cozy said...

Yes I agree- I need to have my Stylist daughter come over and help me put my clothing into actual outfits - I don't need any new clothes I just need to coordinate them! She does this for a business - so I gotta make an appt with her lol

Mevely317 said...

I'd love to join you, but truth be told? Aside from tennis shoes (and underwear), I've not paid retail on anything in years. Maybe I could cut back on estate sales, but we know that's not likely.

Great-Granny Grandma said...

I think I may be joining you as well.

Lynda said...

I am in the same boat - - not really needing new clothes - - just replace some necessities when the others wear out. I know the clothes do end up in the landfill a lot but there are some organizations or drop boxes in our area that recycle the cloth somehow.
Like you, we are enjoying the weather but heartbroken for Florida.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Seems we are all in agreement on not needing any new items, Carol, so I can join in too. Many recent purchases were made at thrift stores and some of those items and others will be donated back. I switched the closet this weekend and had a donation box at the ready. Last week on our family/friends road trip, I bought a new fleece jacket as it had unexpectedly been cooler and then I didn't wear it. The upside is that it was bought at an outlet store and will replace an older one. This coming week, I will be buying something new - walking sneakers as my current pair need replacing, and it these are not technically a clothes item.😉

The situation in FL is so sad and friends we know told us the timeshare they stayed in just last January is totally gone. A niece who lives in Boynton Beach was more fortunate with only rain.