Powered by Blogger.

This Day in History

 

City Hall, New York City

First, a mea culpa. As I started reviewing my information I quickly saw that the historic  event I posted about last night actually took place on January 30. In the interest of historic accuracy I'm going to do the post about it exactly forty years later. However, as a preview, I'm posting a photograph of New York City Hall, where I viewed the event. On a freezing cold January day I stood on the second floor portico to observe a moment in history, a very happy moment in history. 

Today, January 28, however, is not a happy moment in history. Thirty-five years ago today I was at work in a building directly in back of City Hall, the Tweed Courthouse, when I heard the news that the Space Shuttle Challenger broke apart 73 seconds after take-off. I can still see myself in our office conference room. It was an era without cell phones and computers and the tragic news arrived via a phone call from my mother. 

One of the moments of that tragic day that stays with me is President Reagan's television address to the country , especially the last line:

The crew of the space shuttle Challenger honored us by the manner in which they lived their lives. We will never forget them, nor the last time we saw them, this morning, as they prepared for their journey and waved goodbye and "slipped the surly bonds of earth" to "touch the face of God."

[Note: The President spoke at 5 p.m. from the Oval Office at the White House. His address was broadcast live on nationwide radio and television.]

  Tomorrow, I'll post the winner of the Pre-teen Blogaversary Giveaway. There's still time to enter with a quick tap to this link. 

As ever, thanks for visiting and take good care. 

5 comments

Ginny Hartzler said...

I remember this well, it was just so shocking and sorrowful.

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

Yes, it was one of those events that when mentioned, you, again, have that feeling of deep sadness. I watched it yesterday, and was thankful that they only showed the astronauts entering the spaceship, and the takeoff, but not the explosion. That was the right thing to do.

A Bit of the Blarney said...

I, too, was at work and I remember thinking this just isn't happening! Thank you for this post! Have a wonderful weekend!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

such a sad moment in history for all of us. They were so full of life and hopes for the future. We tend to forget just how brave our space explorers are. The risks their lives for us. Your post is a great tribute to those that serve our country through space exploratio, May we never forget their bravery.

Karen said...

One of those sad, memorable events in our history. I was working for a company that sent payloads on the Challenger and manufactured some of its parts. It was shocking. There were televisions set up throughout our offices as we watched in disbelief.