Powered by Blogger.

(Almost) Wordless Wednesday: Library Shelfie Day

It's Library Shelfie Day

I had a Wedding Wednesday post in mind for today, but thanks to a dear friend of Buttercupland, I was informed that the fourth Wednesday of January is Library Shelfie Day and quickly changed gears to celebrate the many bookshelves surrounding me. 

I don't have an order to my books, excepting my cookbooks that are all settled together. The spines of all of my books are aligned, which is a direct result of shelving thousand of books during my library jobs in high school and college. In the days when I visited the library I frequently made adjustments to the shelving so the books looked neater on the shelf. 

How are your books organized? Alphabetical? Subjects grouped together? Fiction separated from non-fiction?

It's warm for winter today and I had a great walk with Betsy through the park this afternoon. I've just spent the best hour watching a wonderful video chat where Sadeqa Johnson is interviewed about her new book, The Yellow Wife, which was published this month. I already have the book on reserve and I'm even more excited to read it than I was previously.  

Tomorrow we are going back in time to January 28, 1981. It will be interesting to see if there is very much news coverage, but Buttercupland will remember a major event in our lives. I hope that you'll stop by. 

As ever, thanks for visiting and take good care. 


10 comments

Olde Dame Holly said...

I just make stacks of my favorite books. I downsized and gave away about 95% of them during this last move. I am lucky to now live near a huge used book store that lets me exchange books. I had to laugh at your habit of neatening books on the shelves of the library!

Marcia said...

When we downsized in 2016 we gave lots and lots of books away. I've started accumulating again if I purchase instead of check out a book but then little libraries often get the books once I'm done. Currently reading This Tender Land by Kent Krueger. I'm reading slower in 2021 than I did in 2020. It's only my second read for January.

Ginny Hartzler said...

This is a pretty, and uncluttered bookshelf. Plus I ejoyed enlarging the photo to see what you have been reading. For many years, I read a book a day! Of course, that was before we all had computers. Now you have me thinking about ways to arrange my books! Right now, they are separated by what I have read, and what I haven't. But I can do better than that! Your post came just in the nick of time, as I am gettig ready to tackel straightening our bookshelves.

Nellie said...

I chuckled about your straightening the shelves when you are in libraries. I do the same thing! I had years of working in libraries as well. The college librarian wanted all the books out even with the shelving in order that they would be seen more easily. I’ve seen pictures of books on shelves in magazines. Sometimes they are arranged by color! I like to group our books by author, though some are by subject.

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hello - it is always fun to see what is on your bookshelf. We have LOTS of books too. I didn't know if was Shelfie day, so I will have to join in on my Friday post. My books are organized into two categories - those I have read and those I haven't read. Have a good evening and I will see you again soon.

Yvonne Shipley said...

Like other posters, I gave away a lot of my books when we moved. In our old house we had a huge wall of books, sorted by topic, and the fiction by itself, sorted by author. I kept ghe spines neatly aligned, not because I ever worked in a library, but because it just looked tidier! Presently i still have books in boxes, and the ones that are out are in no particular order. My cookbooks were and are in the kitchen, in no particular order, spines lined up.

Terra said...

After my Masters Degree in Library Science and decades as a librarian my own bookshelves are not as neatly arranged as one might expect, but they are arranged to suit me so I can find books. P.G. Wodehouse together, Anthony Trollope, C.S. Lewis, all together, etc.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

There is no rhyme nor reason to the books on my bookshelf. There are cook books interspersed with fiction and self help books. I could only wish for a better way to display them. It's really cold here with no relief. I'm longing for sunny warm day to get out in.

Edna B said...

There is no order on my bookshelves. Just lots of books. We're not getting the warm temps that you are getting. It's cold, cold here. Enjoy your day, hugs, Edna B.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

I no longer have a large library of books, aside from way too many cookbooks. There are arranged by subject matter. For example, ones with Italian dishes are together, cast iron cooking ones are side by side, etc. I have a few fiction and non-fiction hardcovers and paperbacks and these are arranged primarily by size on a bedroom bookshelf.