Powered by Blogger.

Pink Saturday Returns to 1981

 

Four hundred and forty-four days in history

We accumulate a lot of things in our lives and we also accumulate a lot of memories. In my endless decluttering, especially in the past year, I've come across clippings and photos that have stirred many feelings and thoughts. For a number of years in the 1980s I worked for the Mayor of New York City, Ed Koch. I knew how fortunate I was at the time and forty years later I still give thanks. 

The job entailed long hours, lots of pressures, but an extraordinary opportunity to be part of many historic events. I began the job in November, 1980 and the first major special event was welcoming the "ex-hostages," as they were described in the press release. The 52 American embassy hostages arrived in America on January 25. Not all of the group chose to come to New York City. But of those that chose to be part of the celebration, the first of the group arrived in New York City on Thursday, January 29. 

From the Buttercup Archives

Obviously, there wasn't much time to put the program together, but a fabulous program was put together, including the welcome to New York City on one of the coldest January days I can remember. One of my fondest memories (ever) was dinner at Windows on the World. I couldn't believe that the people I, along with all of America, had prayed for and hoped for, were my dinner companions. My years in City Hall would include many more extraordinary occasions. Some would equal these events, but nothing would surpass them. 

I know I save way too many things, and at this stage of my life it's time to let go of a lot of them, but I'm thankful I had the presence of mind to keep a copy of this long ago press release to look back on forty years later. 

It's snowing in New York City right now and the prediction is it will keep snowing all through Monday and possibly into Tuesday. I feel for people who need to be working outdoors and I'm grateful that I'm staying indoors, warm and cozy. With the snow and cold, we need some Pink Saturday cheer and I'm sharing one of my favorite neighborhood  windows at Blooming Couture, a local florist.

Love seeing orchids in the winter

As ever, thanks for visiting. Take good care and keep cozy. 

8 comments

Ginny Hartzler said...

The windowis fabulous! They must have a very talented window dresser. What an amazing life you have had! and this is a tangible reminder of a very important part of it. I think you should keep it.

DeniseinVA said...

Amazing! Yes, definitely keep these very important, historical reminders. Mayor Koch’s face immediately jumped into my head. You have lived a very interesting life. I do hope you write all these memories down. I am sure they would fill a book that many would like to read. The orchid window display is gorgeous!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Your job was such an interesting one How wonderful to be part of that welcome home celebration. I'm glad you saved the article and shared it with us. The florist window is beautifully decorated. Flours of any kind are especially a welcome sight in February.

Marcia said...

What history you lived and were part of. We have snow coming here too in NH. It will lay on top of what snow we still have.
That florist shop window is lovely - a breath of spring time!

Edna B said...

How wonderful to be able to find that bit of history in your clipping collect ion. That store window is beautiful. The flowers are indeed a breath of Spring. You have a wonderful day, hugs, Edna B.

TARYTERRE said...

that was quite a story about the hostages. ts nice your job afforded you glimpses into history that most of us would never encounter. my other friend in new york says the snow is falling, falling and acumulating rapidly. stay safe. cozy up at home and let mother nature do her thing.

Deb J. in Utah said...

I do remember when the hostages were taken and then released after Ronald Reagan was inaugurated. That was quite a day. Sounds like you had a front row to history at that time. How cool! You have had some really interesting life experiences. Have a good week. Stay safe and warm!

Olde Dame Holly said...

I wonder if a university library collections department or history department would be receptive to some of your saved items. Even one of the presidential libraries! They are very precious and I would hate to see them just fall into uncaring hands! As to your current weather: The snow is going to be above your head pretty soon! My ex remembers walking around in what were "mazes" people had made in the snow, with the top well over his head and he was tall!