Powered by Blogger.

My Two Perfect Words for 2021: Gratitude Forever

I found my inspiration in Times Square

I took a quick trip to Times Square last weekend and, as usual, took a lot of pictures. I didn't look at them until yesterday, when I went through them and began editing and deleting. I was mostly deleting when I took a good look at this picture. Gratitude leapt out of the screen, and resonated in an enormously powerful way. I'd already posted on Facebook that hope was my word for 2021, but I realized that my word as I moved forward in the new year was gratitude, and not just gratitude for a year, but gratitude forever. For all the sorrow that 2020 held, what remains after the year is over, is gratitude. I have tremendous hope for the year ahead, but what I want to remember at the end of 2021 are all the things for which I have gratitude.   

Last night I was reading through email and came to a newsletter from the Kiplinger Report. There was an article on what items -- other than money -- give meaning to our retirement years. The discussion included good health, social connection and volunteering. But this paragraph especially resonated with me: 

" As with optimism, gratitude also can be mastered with practice. One of the most effective ways to cultivate gratitude is by writing in a journal. Take a few minutes each day to write down a few things that you are grateful for; they can be as big as a professional accomplishment or as small as your morning cup of coffee. Psychological research suggests that putting feelings of gratitude to paper can provide both mental and physical benefits, such as greater self-esteem, better sleep and improved heart health."

I don't need a reason to blog, but what a boost to learn that putting my feelings of gratitude to paper,  which is what I and my blog buddies in Buttercupland do regularly, helps me sleep better and keeps my heart healthier. 

It's the second day of 2021 and I'm grateful for my morning coffee, the breakfast casserole I made to accompany my coffee, the Saturday morning services I attended via Zoom this morning and the walk I took in fifty degree weather this afternoon. What are you grateful for on January 2, 2021?

As ever, thanks for visiting and take good care. 

10 comments

Ginny Hartzler said...

Being thankful is a true way to find JOY! I taught a lesson on gratitude at church once. I am thinkful for so much! My husband, house, church, friends, and health. And in the time of Covis, it is for sure thankful that we don't have it!

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hello Buttercup! Gratitude is vital. I have been doing a gratitude list in my journal every morning for several years now. This morning, I am grateful that I got a good night's sleep, even though my anxiety is now over-the-top about what is going on in Washington D.C.. I am grateful that Covid has not touched my family and pray that will continue. I am grateful that there are people in Washington standing up for our Democracy, and I am grateful for my faith and a good winter break, which is now just about over. I am grateful for friends like you in Blogland, who help me keepa good perspective in all the current craziness. Have a good Sunday!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

What a great post topic, Carol, and being thankful for what we have and not bemoaning what we cannot control, other than being careful and cautious, is a better way to proceed every day. I am thankful for friendships, new and old, being able to awake each day, sleep well each night, and know that famiky and friends though missed are doing ok. And, yes thankful for morning coffee as well.

Valerie said...

Good morning, Carol!

Thank you so much for dropping by and leaving your kind comment. In a particularly challenging year for me and the kids...it's really important that I stop and take the time to count my blessings. I truly do have so much to be grateful for. Chris continues to provide for the kids and me even though he is gone. We have a beautiful new home (which I've not even blogged about)...I have kept my job during the age of Covid (and the kids and I have stayed healthy!)...and right now, most importantly for me, I've been able to keep them enrolled at their parochial school to help keep a semblance of normalcy.

Again, thank you for always dropping by and offering words of encouragement. Happy New Year! (NYC is one my most favorite cities in America. I hope to take the kids soon.)

Valerie

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I so agree, it is always good to be thankful for what we have . Gratefulness does make us feel better and they say even boost immunity. You cannot be sad and thankful at the same time. Happy New Year ! What a blessing to have 50 degrees in January. Here we are 37 with A HIGH OF 40 TODAY.

DeniseinVA said...

Awesome photo is so many ways! And a very inspirational post, thanks so much Buttercup. Happy New Year!

Lea @ CiCis Corner said...

I have been journaling for many years and can't decide whether to keep them or discard them. Not sure I want them left behind when I leave this world. :o)) We, or most of us, have so very much to be thankful for in spite of difficulties of our lives or the world. Thanks for stopping by, it's always nice to meet another blogger.

Olde Dame Holly said...

Every time I awaken, I feel great gratitude. Even when I sleep so poorly that I wake up a dozen times a night! I always pray, "Jesus and Mary, please keep me on my feet, and thank you." Burdens are many but I am extremely grateful that I'm still able to be in the game, for my husband and son and pets.

Selma Espinosa said...

After the birth of our last daughter 2 years ago, I noticed something about my husband that was completely different. He comes home late every night, sleeps on the couch never in the bedroom with me and doesn't give attention to me or the kids. I remember the night he came home drunk and told me he was no longer attracted to me after I had kids.
I cried myself to sleep that night, I could not believe that the man I have loved all my life will someday stopped loving me. Just few days to our wedding anniversary, he stopped coming home and would not take my calls. I had to talk to a friend and she suggested I contact a spell caster who could help me bring back his love and attention. It was the first time I heard such stuff existed, I give it a try with high expectations. After my contact with the Priest spellcaster, he helped me cast a spell that made my husband return home to me and our kids. I know a lot of people need this to help them stay happy in their marriages. You can contact Priest Obongibok let him help you; write him on email obongibok@priest.com or WhatsApp +13612367973.

Anonymous said...

Do you need the love and attention of your spouse or your Ex back? I will advise you seek the service of a spellcaster, Priest Obongibok helped me get back the love and attention of my husband when he didn't see me attractive anymore just because I had given birth to three kids.
I know a lot of people need this to help them stay happy in their marriages. You can contact Priest Obongibok let him help you; write him on email obongibok@priest.com or WhatsApp +13612367973.