Powered by Blogger.

My (New) Perfect Word for 2020: Hope

 

I found my inspiration on Seventh Avenue

In 2019 my perfect word was fun and in 2018 I chose health. My perfect word for 2020 was vision. It seems so obvious (and ironic) thinking about it now, but I'd been to a vision workshop on New Year's Day, 2020 and was inspired. On January 1, 2020, I had a vision of the year ahead. I had trips planned, theater tickets purchased -- including seeing Hugh Jackman in The Music man in September -- and thoughts about how I'd like to celebrate my milestone 70th birthday.

I planned to choose hope as my word for 2021, but in retrospect it really was my word for 2020. Vision went by the wayside in mid-March 2020 when I quickly realized I had no vision of what the days, months, year would look like. The one thing I learned is that 2020 would in no way resemble the year I had envisioned. I've read a fair number of Dystopian novels, but none had sketched a time that would give me insight into my experiences this year past. 

What I did have in 2020, though there were times it ebbed and waned, was hope. I had hope that I would get through the long dark spring and hope that life would improve. I had hope that one day in 2020 I would once again be baking in my kitchen and hope that there would be a vaccine. And blessedly, my hope has been answered.

The great thing about picking a perfect word is that it's my perfect word, and I get to revise it. I've never done a perfect word revision before, but we've never had a year like 2020 before. On the first day of 2021, I'm revising my perfect word for 2020 and tomorrow, I will be posting my perfect word for 2021. It will be a day later than usual, but with insights that took almost a year to cultivate. 

I hope the first day of 2021 was a good one for you. My New Year's Eve was a quiet one, with phone calls and watching one of my favorite movies (for the zillionth time), "That's Entertainment." Today included Friday night services, a long walk and lots of cooking, all of which I am very appreciative.   

As ever, thanks for visiting and happy 2021.

   

5 comments

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

We need to have hope and never give up.With out hope we would be hopeless people and that would never do. We are all hopeful for a better 2021. We learned a lot in 2020 so now we need to take the lessons with us into the New Year. I like your word, No none of us knows what the future will bring our way but I live in anticipation of better days ahead.

Marcia said...

What a great sculpture! Yes, I have so much more hope this year than last.

Ginny Hartzler said...

Of course it is the PERFECT word! I love this huge HOPE sign!!

NanaDiana said...

I think HOPE is a perfect word for this year...something we all need in our lives. My word is KINDNESS and I hope to spread a little bit wherever I go...xo Diana

Jeanie said...

Hope is my word of the year, too. I wonder how many others will choose it? I realized I had written it so much that it clearly was takling to me. Love the gian installation! Happy New Year!