Powered by Blogger.

(Almost) Wordless Wednesday: Inauguration Day

 

Senior Class trip to Washington, April 1968

My thoughts are in Washington today, but my memories go back to the first inauguration I watched. I remember vividly watching the inauguration of John F. Kennedy on that snowy day in 1961. My father never took off days from work short of something monumental, but my memory is that day was both a blizzard and a school snow day and we got to watch the inauguration as a family. 

I don't remember a lot of the details, other than Robert Frost reading and President Kennedy's address. I'm not sure I can remember quotes from other presidential addresses, but "Ask not what your country can do for you - ask what you can do for your country" is etched in my memory. 

I've watched many inaugurations since then, but, without knowing it that snowy morning, this first one set the compass for so much that followed in my life and career. It reinforced my fascination with history and encouraged the career in government that would become the largest part of my working life. 

My fervent hope is that children throughout America find the inspiration that I found sixty years ago and one day, they too, will be able to reflect on their American experience sixty years from now. G'd bless America. 

As ever, thanks for visiting and take good care. 

13 comments

Carol said...

Watched the inauguration today as well. I felt that it was an important day in history with not only the change in command, but with a female Vice President. I am certain that many children do not watch these events in history, but they well should. I am glad you have such memories.

Ginny Hartzler said...

So you went with your senior class and saw it in person? Wow, what an amazing historical event to have witnessed. We saw it on T.V., of course.

Brenda said...

Great day
Reminded me of JFK

Marcia said...

We tuned in here from NH with both granddaughters watching with us. Not sure the 4 year old will remember but I think the almost 7 year old will.

Deb J. in Utah said...

Yes, today was a good day. The inauguration was beautiful and inspiring. Democracy won!

Olde Dame Holly said...

What a precious photograph - and memory. I saw some of today's events, but Mass was right in the middle of it. Our priest had some special prayers for President Biden and VP Harris and there were so many candles lighted for them.

TARYTERRE said...

wonderful memories.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Definitely some good memories there. I never have been to Washing DC, That would be a trip to take for sure. I watched along with thousands of others and was encouraged by all the promising words. We can be proud of our country.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Admittedly I have not watched many inaugurations, I did watch the one this Wed and was very inspired and heartened by the proceedings which hopefully will lead to better things ahead.

Anonymous said...

I have read your posts for several years, but have never commented. I just had to today! I have that SAME picture from our class trip in 1967! We were seated the EXACT SAME WAY in our pic. There were about 85 in our pic, but it is so funny that it looks exactly the same! I doubt if kids wear dresses on those class trips now, but I think back then there was a dress code to enter a lot of the buildings. Oh, what a memory that brings back!! And the Inauguration yesterday was beautiful. I remember Robert Frost at Kennedy's, and I think I will remember Amanda Gorman for many years to come as well!! It was a beautiful day. Chris

diane b said...

What a great experience for you in senior class. that is a precious photo. I think this inauguration will be remembered for a long time too.The poet and the flags Wow!

Brenda said...

I have that picture
Juniors went to D C and some seniors... our junior class put a wreath on JFK grave...April 1964

Linda said...

What an amazing memory to have!!! I loved reading about it!