Powered by Blogger.

Cheers for the Doughboy

 

The Doughboy statue in Abingdon Square

This Veterans Day Buttercupland is sending up cheers for the Doughboys and all the others who have served America throughout our history. Veterans Day began as Armistice Day in 1919, commemorating the first anniversary of the end of World War I. At the urging of major US veteran groups Armistice Day was renamed Veterans Day in 1954. 

When I visited Abingdon Square on Halloween I made sure to take photographs of the Doughboy who stands at the entrance to the Square. The statue was placed there by the local Democratic Club in 1921 to "honor the brave men who went forth from this neighborhood to join the Armed Forces of the United States during the World War." 




The West Village (below Fourteenth Street on the West Side of Manhattan), home of Abingdon Square, is one of my favorite parts of Manhattan. There are still many buildings from the Nineteenth Century, with original details. There are even a few streets still paved with cobblestones. 


This was where we ate lunch during our visit to the West Village. The cobblestones are charming, but also bumpy. The "tent" was open on three sides and closed on the right side and on top. There are also plexiglass dividers between tables. On the far left, you can see the heater, which is great for nippier days. 

Again, a big thanks for all who have served our country.

Today was warm, but rainy and it looks like I will be retiring my flip flops and short sleeves in the next few days. These days have been a wonderful bonus and I have loved sitting out and not needing the heat lamps to keep warm. 

As ever, thanks for visiting and take good care.

13 comments

Ginny Hartzler said...

I sure just learned something! When I hear the word doughboy, I immediately think of Pillsbury. I had no idea they were American soldiers!

Susan said...

I enjoyed my visit this evening. I did not know that about the doughboys. I am praying for peace for our country.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

This was a timely post for the Veterans Day observance, Carolas many people may have been unfamiliar with doughboys and the value of their service. Yes, cobblestones look nice, but are often uncomfortable to walk on and more so with sandals.

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

Autumn have been lovely and what a nice place to visit during these days before the cold. Hoping we get many more walking about days.

Edna B said...

What a lovely memorial for the Doughboys. I love seeing the cobblestones. They bring back memories from my childhood. I'm hanging on to my flip flops as long as I possible can. You have a wonderful day, hugs, Edna B.

Theresa said...

You are full of information:) I love learning new things! Enjoy your day dear friend, HUGS!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I didn't know they called the soldiers doughboys. How nice to have a sign to honor those in the neighborhood. You got a couple of more nice weather days than we did. I retired my flip flops a few days ago. Sad to see them go but thankful for socks and warm shoes.

Great-Granny Grandma said...

Interesting post. I didn't know American soldiers were called doughboys. I've always associated doughboys with Pillsbury. Now I'm going to have to Google to find out how the soldiers got that name.

A Bit of the Blarney said...

What a beautiful day you had. Thnk you for the tour and teaching me something I did not know! Wishing you a grand weekend!

Deb J. in Utah said...

Looks like such a nice day there in NYC. I always learn something interesting visiting your blog. I agree - so grateful for who have served our nation and for those who serve today.

kestrel said...

The doughboy is a beautiful memorial to those who have served. Interesting to read about Veteran's Day as we do not celebrate such an important event here. Looks you had a cozy lunch in the tent - new norm of eating out now

Vagabonde said...

I enjoyed reading your post and am pleased that NYC has a marker about the doughboys. It reminded me that I still have the book “The Last of the Doughboys: the forgotten generation and the forgotten war” by Richard Rubin. I read it in 2013 and even though I am giving books away I think I’ll keep it for my grandkids. Rubin interviewed some of the last doughboys still alive. There is a full chapter about the African American doughboys who fought for France in WW1. White US officers in the US Army did not want to fight alongside black soldiers so the US Army gave them to the French Army and they fought under the French. They delivered many little French villages from the German and were very popular in France. Quite a number stayed in France after the war as they did not want to come back to the US and be segregated again.

Lowcarb team member said...

A very nice post, thank you.

All the best Jan