Powered by Blogger.

Welcome to The Velvet Mill

Welcome to The Velvet Mill

In a world not that long gone, in Connecticut and all of New England, much of the employment was in mills and the factories that later replaced the original mills. When I was growing up in Hartford in the 1950s and 1960s, Hartford wasn't just the "Insurance Capital of the World," but one of the leading sites for manufacturing typewriters. Both Underwood, later bought by Olivetti, and Royal typewriters were made there and employed thousands, including my father, who worked at Underwood for eighteen years. 

But much of the manufacturing world of New England is now history or remains in a different ways. When I visited Connecticut in September we found a fascinating repurposed velvet mill in Stonington, The Velvet Mill. It's now an event space and home to restaurants and small businesses.

Once this was the home of Wimpfheimer Velvets manufacturing, which moved to Stonington from Astoria, New York in the early 1890s because of a malaria epidemic. The building had been built by the town of Stonington to encourage industrial development. 

Years ago -- before the company moved to Virginia in 1996 -- looms to make velvet filled these spaces. 

Some of the men and women who worked at those looms. 

 
We found this fun-looking ice cream shop -- a genuine old-fashioned soda fountain -- at the end of one of the aisles. Unfortunately it wasn't open so we couldn't sample the ice cream. However, since Sift Bake Shop was our next stop that day, we didn't spoil our appetites. 

I posted the picture of the beautiful black velvet dress above on my Facebook page. Several friends asked if I was tempted to buy it. Perhaps in a different time I might have been tempted. But I can only remember wearing a dress once in 2020, and my clothing purchases are mostly replacements for the few things I've worn out this year. Once we're socializing in person again -- how's that for optimism! -- I'm pretty sure I will look for a new dress for the first big event I'm invited to.   

On a different note, Wimpfheimer's Velvet is still producing fabric at its Virginia location. I noted on their website that they sell small orders to home sewers. 

As ever, thanks for visiting and take care. 

12 comments

Ginny Hartzler said...

How interesting! I did know there were a lot of fabric mills up north, and have wondered what happened to them. This would be such a fun and historical place to spend the afternoon. As for the dress, it is beautiful and elegant, but does look better suited to Morticia Addams.

Deb J. in Utah said...

Another interesting post. That looks like an interesting and fun place to visit. I sure would like to visit some of these places in New England. The farthest east I have been is Long Island, and the farther east I have lived is Southern Illinois. Enjoy the rest of your week.

Nellie said...


That is a beautiful dress! I am counting on a return to semi-normal routines, then normal. Of course, there’s a lot we don’t know about how this virus behaves; not sure other countries are able to feel confident about the future of the virus. Would love to have some ice cream from that shop!

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

We lost so much manufacturing in the 80’s and I remember trying very hard to buy only Made in America clothing in the early 90’s. I finally realized that if I kept doing that, I would soon be naked. I don’t think it will ever come back as costs make it almost prohibitive.

I did buy a summer dress this year on Amazon. I wore it once.

Theresa said...

My Granddaughters Alex and Avery wore a velvet top to my Sister's service. When I hugged them, I said... wow that velvet is so soft. I love that dress, so pretty! Enjoy your day dear friend, hope your day is perfect!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I rarely ever wear a dress anymore. I more in keeping confutable than anything else. I do remember a time when we always wore dresses or skirts and blouses. Pants were not allowed at all. And no one wore jeans but farmers. How times have changed. I'm glad to see the old building still been used by someone. We should do that with more old buildings. They have a lot a character that old ones don't.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I meant to say that the new ones don't . The old ones did.

Jeanie said...

What a fascinating post, Buttercup. And it sounds like the most wonderful day!

Edna B said...

Oh my, I do love that beautiful velvet dress. Of course, I wouldn't be wearing anything like it nowadays. Actually, I've lived in jeans mostly for the last thirty years or so. I do have two long lounge dresses that I wear everywhere. I've enjoyed reading about the history of the mills. New England used to be famous for its shoe making factories too, but they seem to have also gone by the way. You have a wonderful day, hugs, Edna B.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

As you know, BC, I really like visiting repurposed sites, especially since we now live in one! I found your visit interesting. Perhaps the next time we are able to visit CT we will see this Velvet Mill and maybe the ice cream shop would be open too!
BTW I'm glad you enjoyed our day trip to the Brookline Sculpture Park. It's such an interesting place and only a 30 minute drive from Nashua, NH. We're already planning a return one day.

Janie Junebug said...

I love that dress, but the waist is too small for me. A very interesting post.

Love,
Janie

NanaDiana said...

My very first job ever was as a sewer at Blue Swan mills (fancy lingerie) in Sayre, PA. They shipped all over the world and made famous brands- Chantelle, Fredericks of Hollywood, Formfit, Vanity Fair, etc. If you were good at what you did (I was) you could earn 3 to 4 times minimum wage. If you got too good (I did) they would move you to a position such as timekeeper. Where you timed women's sewing output. Let me tell you EVERYONE hates a timekeeper. lol
Have a wonderful Thursday. This brought back a memory that I hadn't thought about in years. Love that black velvet dress!!!! xo Diana