Powered by Blogger.

Who Knows Where the Time Really Goes


Exactly forty years ago today...

...I turned thirty years old. This picture was taken just before I was about to leave for a celebration dinner at the fabulous Windows on the World restaurant on the 107th floor of the World Trade Center. It was a wonderful evening and forty years later it is still a fabulous memory. What I had no idea of, on that hot July night in 1980, was that two months later I would interview for the best job I've ever had, in the Mayor's Office in City Hall.   

Today I turned seventy. I find it almost impossible that forty years have elapsed and the job I didn't know existed is now long ago history. I am amazed these years have gone by, slowly at times, but mostly like a freight train trying to make up for lost time. There's a lot of life in the rear view window, but despite all the turmoil and difficulties of 2020, I am optimistic about the time to come. 

The smiling young woman in the photograph is still smiling, at least some of the time. I am so grateful for the gift of seventy years of life. I am especially grateful for the people I've had the good fortune to share these seventy years with. It's unlikely that there's an exciting new job just over the horizon, but I know there will be people to meet, books to read, flowers to enjoy and sometime there will be new places to visit. Join me in a toast to the next journey of the freight train. It's pulling out of the station and the scenery ahead looks beautiful.    

20 comments

Virginia King said...

I’ll toast to that! 🥂 Happy birthday, Carol! 70 looks good on you. ❤️

Terra said...

Happy birthday Carol. You were darling then and you are still a darling. Your upbeat post lifted my spirits, yes, there are more good times ahead.

Dorothy In PA said...

Happy Birthday. I am happy that you have such great memories to share.

Himawan Sant said...

Turnover is indeed not felt. So fast is the change of years and ages. The thing that you feel is also often experienced by me ... surprised to see photos of my teens and now I am in the adult stage.

I pray that you continue to be healthy and full of enthusiasm.
Greetings from Indonesia

TARYTERRE said...

HAPPY 70th BIRTHDAY. May you have many more. Enjoy your day. What wonderful memories you have. i'm sure you will make many more in the years ahead.

Ruthie Rey B said...

Fantastic epitome of days gone by. Happy Birthday ❤️

Laurel Wood said...

Happy Birthday dear friend. This is a lovely photo. Especially during these troubled times of 2020, I'm grateful for the opportunity to stay in touch with blog friends.

Lisa said...

Happy Birthday, Carol!!! Still a beauty!

Gloria said...

Happy Birthday Carol. You look great for 70.

Sybil said...

Mary and I send our love on your birthday,,,,it was wonderful to be able to meet up and cement our long friendship, here’s to the next visit xxxx

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Happy Birthday. Enjoy the journey. Time does fly when we're having fun. Enjoy every moment !

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

Happy Birthday, dear Carol. What a lovely person you were then and now. The freight train might be going fast, but there are many stops along the way and I know that you will enjoy them all. Here’s to you, sweet lady. 🍷🍾

Mevely317 said...

Beautiful perspective, dear lady! Happy (fiscal) New Year!

Nellie said...

Love that picture! We must keep a positive attitude during these days! Hoping for better times ahead, with more great celebrations!

Biomaster said...

Happy Birthday, Carol Hard to celebrate during this time, but you're wished well all the same. A memorable birthday in so many ways!!

Janie Junebug said...

Happy birthday! You've led an interesting life. I want to read more.

Love,
Janie

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Belated 🎂 wishes to you, Carol, and keeping a positive attitude is important and you certainly do that. I enjoyed reading a bit more about your life and working in NYC. You must have many more tales to post about in the future. The look-back photo was lovely and how wonderful to have celebrated a then milestone birthday at Windows of the World !

Julie's Creative Lifestyle said...

Wishing you belated birthday wishes Carol! I hope you enjoyed your birthday.

Unknown said...

Happy Landmark Birthday, Carol Zwick! :-)

Leslie Van Stavern Millar said...

Thanks for writing this. I appreciate your reference to trains on a track, I am also experiencing similar reflections, as my 70th was in June. I am glad we were classmates at MHC. Sending my best for the time ahead.