Powered by Blogger.

(Belated) Random Five Friday



Pep prepares for his opera debut

It's actually the day after Random Five Friday, but not too late to share the goings on for this week. With both Pep and I celebrating birthdays it's been very busy. I've fallen behind in blogging, blog visits, thank you notes and phone calls. But next week will return to a slower pace and I look forward to catching up. 

1) Pep and I share a birth day and party animal Pep loves a celebration. He enjoyed all the birthday fun and especially loves his matador outfit, a gift from dear friend Lonni. Clothes make the monkey and I think Pep looks especially dashing. Please note: Pep does not condone any instances of animals being mistreated and does not plan to take up bull-fighting. However, he was inspired to listen to Carmen and is preparing for his opera debut. I think this may be Pep's wedding outfit. I'm envisioning Nessie in matching lace, with red accents. Not traditional wedding attire, but they are not a traditional couple. 

2) The first of my (very) good news to share. Last August there was a gas leak in the street outside my apartment building and the gas was turned off. Yes, that means what you think it means. No gas to cook with since last August. The boiler was converted to electricity, but the building was unable to reconnect the individual apartments. We got a notice in February that the contractors would start the reconnection process sometime at  the end of March. We all know what happened in March and I had begun to despair of ever baking in my oven again. Early this week I got a note under my door letting me know that sometime in the next month workmen will enter our apartments and begin to reconnect our gas line. It's a big project and I know there will be a lot of disruption, but I have the time to follow up on everything that will need to be done and by September -- fingers crossed -- I will be cooking and baking again. This time my cooking will have an entire new level of gratitude. 

3) The second item of my very good news. In March of 2019 -- at a routine eye examination -- I was diagnosed with macular degeneration. I went for further testing and found a medical practice that specialized in retina disorders. With very sophisticated testing my diagnosis was changed and I learned I have a macular pucker, which is much less serious than macular degeneration. I began to go for checkups every three months and take vitamins for retina disorders and added a lot of spinach and kale to my diet, per my doctor's recommendation. I missed my three month checkup in June and caught up on Monday. Thankfully, my eye is stable and since it's been stable for the last year, I am now on an every  six month schedule. I think this may have been the best news I could get for my birthday or any day. I am continuing with my vitamins and spinach, and will be hoping for the same good news then. 

4) My eye appointment was my first excursion out of my immediate neighborhood since mid-March. My second appointment was a visit to the dentist on Thursday. I don't dislike going to the dentist -- my dentist and her staff are terrific -- but usually I'm not excited. I was so happy to see everyone again and happier still that missing my regular appointment in April hadn't led to any problems. This was my view when I came out of my dentist's office. 

Looking west on West 58th Street

5) I didn't make it to Riverside Park this week, but found beautiful flowers all around, including this one in a planter at the building next door. 
 A tropical moment with this beautiful hibiscus

Thanks for joining me in a recap of the week. My trip to the dentist gave me the opportunity to visit another favorite place I have been to in months. I took lots of pictures and I'm planning to share them for Pink Saturday fun.

As ever, thanks for visiting and take good care!
   

10 comments

Dorothy In PA said...

First, I am sending blessings for your eyes.
Second, Pep certainly does look dashing. I think that is a perfect groom's outfit.
Third, I am glad that you will be baking again soon.
Fourth, thanks for showing a little sliver of NYC.

Ginny Hartzler said...

Wonderful news about your eye!!! You could not have gotten better news! I just KNEW that Pep's outfit was a Matador. For one thing, the cap. He does look very dashing in it. Your New York view is extraordinary! The tallest blue buildings; is it unfinished? Those two buildings look SO different from all the others.

Lynda said...

Sending prayers of PRAISE for your EXCELLENT report on your eyes!!! It is a scary thing you experienced.
Your blog is so upbeat and enthusiastic - - any day we read it but especially today.
About seeing regular people at appointments again - - - we have felt the same way. Someone put on FB that the thing with COVID, we have even begun missing the people we dislike!
We were truly created to be gregarious creatures. I remember the first time I learned that word. I was in 7th grade and it was a in our Social Studies book. When the meaning was explained that people are fond of being with other people, I thought that was an interesting and true observation. I think quarantine has made all of us recognize that.
Thanks for posting!

Laurel Wood said...

So very thankful for the news on your eyes. I'm also pleased that perhaps it won't be long until you can bake again. Pep's outfit is adorable. That is a gorgeous hibiscus. Wishing you an enjoyable day.

Mevely317 said...

Pep's looking mighty debonair! Yeay on the gas, and especially your eyes! A couple of weeks ago my ocular guru thought he saw an epiretinal membrane; but after more testing decided it was too small to address at this time. I love spinach and will be upping my own intake. Thanks for the tip! .. and sharing your good news!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

So glad to hear of your good news. Thank the dear Lord for his many blessingS/ We don't appreciate what we have until we don't have it. I'm sure you are really going to enjoy that oven. Thankfully it didn't effect your heat when we was winter here. Glad you are able to make your needed appointments. Seems everyone is busy catching up on those. The doctors office was very busy when I went last week. Hoping things continue to get better as the summer rolls along.

Latane Barton said...

I'm happy, happy about the good news on your eye. And, girl... that picture of West 58th Street ... just made me want to come to New York so badly. Maybe soon.

Susie said...

Great pictures Carol. I love the view from your dentist exit. That little monkey and his clothes. So cute. I loved reading about your good eye report. I know you will all love getting the gas back on. Blessings for more good fortune. xoxo, Susie

Chatty Crone said...

You have had a wonderful week. Happy birthday to you and pep. Glad about your eye diagnosis! Your teeth are good. And you are going to be able to cook soon.
That has to make one feel a little more positive in this situation.
sandie

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

That was great news to read about your eye condition and also the dental checkup. I too am not fond of those visits as I’ve had various dental issues the past few years. Wishing you and Pep’s a great celebration year and his outfit was very colorful😀