Powered by Blogger.

Random Five Friday


I love the dog topiary at Riverside Park

In the early years of blogging, one of my blog buddies, Nancy, hosted Random Five Friday. Random Five Friday was exactly as described. It was five random thoughts in one post. It was a great way to catch up on the week, as well as share thoughts that didn't quite make a full post. This week I'm using the format to catch up on the status of my Black Swan existence after two months of staying put.  





1) I had a great morning walking with one of my gym/Yoga/water aerobics friends in Riverside Park. We met in the morning when the park wasn't crowded and enjoyed sunshine, walking and catching up on the last two months. We have "seen" each other via Zoom, but there's nothing like fact to face, even with masks and at opposite ends of a park bench. 

2) I figured out what I'd been doing incorrectly in downloading photographs. Not sure what happened because it's the same thing I've been doing for years, but somehow I omitted one step and of course, nothing happened. Once I walked through the process again -- after looking at my settings for an hour -- all was right with the world. 

3)
Tomorrow, May 23, is the official birthday of the New York Public Library. 
Happy birthday, my dear friend! I can't wait to spend time with you again. 

4) My concentration has improved a lot and I'm back to reading. One of the books I'm looking forward to reading is The Spiral Shell by Sandell Morse. I discovered Sandell and this book this via a writer friend and it looks thoughtful and totally compelling. I've been reading a lot of history, and looking at difficult times past and what kept people going. There are several author "Zooms" that are scheduled -- in the link -- and I hope to "see" you at one of them.  


5) A question for Buttercupland: What are your reading choices this month. Besides history, I'm reading mysteries as always, and thanks to the New York Public Library, I'm on my third volume of C.S. Harris' Lord Devlin historical mysteries. Set in the Regency period in England, they chronicle Sebastian St. Cyr, Viscount Devlin, as he steps beyond his life in the aristocracy and seeks justice for complex and unsolved murders. They're far from cozy and at times, a little more gruesome than I would choose, but the characters, setting and historical detail make them great reads. I read several of the earlier volumes and now I'm reading whatever the library has available to borrow electronically. It's pretty haphazard, but I'm nonetheless enjoying my escape to Eighteenth Century England very much. 

For tomorrow's Pink Saturday fun we're returning to Riverside Park for a special art show I've curated. I hope you'll join the fun. 

As ever, thanks for visiting and take good care. Much love and of course, wash your hands.  

11 comments

Ginny Hartzler said...

The rock garden is so pretty! I am reading a book about the ravens in the towr of London. Written by their caretaker. They have lived there for many years and are considered good luck. Very smart! The library is beautiful!

Dorothy In PA said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. The photos are lovely.

I also sometimes forget a step and then cannot remember how I used to do something. Geez, that's frustrating but I just try to talk myself through it.

I haven't been reading any books lately. I am reading my way through a stack of Doll News magazines that I hadn't gotten to before.

I am looking forward to your Saturday post.

Laurel Wood said...

So nice that you could meet at the park with a friend. Your library is gorgeous! I have not been reading the last few weeks. I'm glad you are now able to post pictures. Wishing you a very nice day!

Theresa said...

Nice walking with you via this post. SO many pretty sites! The year flies right by, Happy birthday to the New York Public library! Have a blessed day dear friend, HUGS!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

After so long at home alone, a visit with a friend would be wonderful. I love historical novels and mysteries are always good, but I like a little romance and a happy ending throwi in too. The world is sad enough on its own. I'll have to check to see what books by CS harris I can find on line with our public library.

Jeffrey Pulis said...

You asked what people are reading. I am revisiting New York City through the works of Patti Smith: "Just Kids" for the early years (1967-70's), "M Train', and then "Year of the Monkey" to bring us up through Trump's Inauguration. Stories about dreams within dreams, great writers, and the creative process.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Glad you figured out how to get the photos uploaded as I enjoyed seeing them and yes Happy Birthday to the library. Ours remains in shutdown and is sorely missed. I've read several books by Kristina McMorris and Charles Belfoure and currently reading The Splendid and the Vile by Erik Larson. I'm having a tough time with this latest Larson novel, but determined to finish it and only 250 more pages to go!

Kate said...

I liked the St. Cyr books, too. Mysteries and police procedural keep my attention. But I need no-fiction going at the same time. Larson’s The Sacred and the Vile was fascinating. K

Sandell Morse said...

Thanks so much for the amazing shout out about The Spiral Shell, A French Village Reveals Its Secrets of Jewish Resistance in World War II. I loved your photographs. This morning, my dog and I ventured out for a walk beyond our neighborhood, and it was wonderful. What am I reading. I recently finished Rebecca Solnit's Recollections of My Nonexistence, and I'm now reading Anna Solomon's The Book of V. One of things I like about Covid isolation is ordering books --from independents or bookshop.org-- and reading beyond my usual picks. My very best. Sandell.

Louca por porcelana said...

Beautiful pictures. I am reading "the screwtape letters",by C.S.Lewis. I am lucky my hubbie is an avid reader and has a great library at our home.The N.Y.Public library looks an inviting and beautiful place.Best wishes.

Great-Granny Grandma said...

I love this post and the pictures. It was a touch of nostalgia for me. I didn't realize you were from New York City. I spent most of my adult life in Jackson Heights, Queens, but moved to Virginia over 20 years ago.