Powered by Blogger.

Pink Saturday And a Box of Colored Chalk


Get your chalk! We're off to Riverside Park for Pink Saturday

Fortunately, Pink Saturday is a state of mind and not a place, because today was not a day for sunshine, park and chalk. It was rainy and windy and a good day to stay inside -- even more than the usual stay at home. I got outside for a quick errand and a mile walk, but otherwise I've been indoors spending time phone and text chatting and reading the New York Times Sunday sections that arrive on Saturday. 

For anyone who thought children had stopped playing outside, think again. That may have been the case in the past, but now there are children playing in the park, on the sidewalks and in the closed streets. We've all had our fill of television and electronic devices and long for sunshine and activity. All we want now is to be outside!

What's your pick? Tic-Tac-Toe or Hopscotch?

I don't think I've seen tic-tac-toe or hopscotch on the streets of New York in decades, but there many games drawn throughout the park. When I was growing up we played hopscotch almost every summer day, and I was pretty sure that the game was history, but clearly there's been a resurgence. Who else in Buttercupland was a hopscotch player?

More hopscotch and my favorite sidewalk portrait

Enjoyed finding this smiling cat on one of my walks

It feels great to be blogging, pictures and all. I always enjoy the comments -- don't we all -- but especially enjoyed the ones from yesterday's post and all the book comments. I hope everyone found a recommendation or two. I know I did. 

Before my photo difficulties I mentioned doing a giveaway and I will go ahead with it tomorrow. Please stop by!

As ever, thanks for visiting and take good care. Wishes for a very happy Memorial Day weekend.  

11 comments

Ginny Hartzler said...

I love it! I love the signs of life and little children having fun and playing games!! I can almost hear their squeals and shouts in my head. I especially like the rainbows, man, and cat. I absolutely loved Hopscotch! I would even play it today if I wasn't so old with bad bones and bad balance.

Dorothy In PA said...

I played hopscotch and jacks and four corners (also called four squares) but I wasn't very good at any of those activities. I was good at reading books though (laugh). That doesn't require dexterity or agility.

What I liked most was sitting on a friend's front porch in the Summer and just talking. We could stay out until it got dark because the grown ups where outside also and it was safe.

Laurel Wood said...

How fun to see the chalk drawings. Growing up, I had a very long sidewalk in front of my house and I played hopscotch all the time. I appreciate your visits to my blog; wish you could join me for a walk! Have a great day.

Susie said...

Hi Carol, I loved looking at some previous post and today. I adore sidewalk art. It truly let's the kids be out and do something fun. My greatkid sons, Max and Luke played hopscotch. 3 and 4, it looked so funny. Their mom sends me pics and videos. Thank goodness in this time of isolation. I love seeing all the parks in your blog. Blessing, stay safe. xoxo, Susie

Mevely317 said...

Me! I did! Puzzled, wondering why and when I stopped playing and became so serious. Methinks now I should add sidewalk chalk to next week's shopping cart … if only to cheer our garbagemen.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

sidewalk art is very popular with my grandchildren. They ae all artists in the making. They love to decorate the sidewalks for all to see. thankfully they have plenty of chalk.It's looking like a wet Sunday here and the sidewalks will be washed clean.But that's ok, they'll be delighted to do it again.

Chatty Crone said...

Oh my gosh that is heart warming - such a beautiful sight to see. I am glad people - children are out and about - as long as they are being safe???

Louca por porcelana said...

So cute and fun!Remind me my childhood!

Karen said...

I LIKE THE SIDEWALK ART! LOTS OF FUN.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

I enjoyed the chalk art as well and am quite surprised that none has been spotted on our walks around downtown Nashua or even here on the mill apt walkways. Perhaps, I will make a suggestion to management once the at home schooling is done. We had a quiet holiday at home and social distanced by the river with a couple of neighbors in the early evening.

Great-Granny Grandma said...

Loving these chalk drawings. So glad the kids are out and about.