Powered by Blogger.

T Is for Thailand

Welcome to our next A to Z destination, Thailand

I've had a fascination with Southeast Asia for many years. I first traveled to Bangkok in 1989 and returned in 1996 after visiting Malaysia and North Sumatra. On my last trip to Thailand (with only an overnight in Bangkok) I spent time in the Chiang Mai area in Northern Thailand. The photograph above is the countryside outside of Chiang Mai.

Chiang Mai was founded in 1296 as the capital of the Northern Kingdom of Lan Na. It was an independent state and then under the control of Burma, until it joined with Siam in 1776. I especially enjoyed the archaeological sites both in Northern Thailand and in the Bangkok area. I thought we'd visit two sites I found especially interesting.

 This is the entrance to Wat Phra Singh, the Temple of the Lion Buddha -- or so I believe

Chiang Mai has many beautiful temples and I enjoyed visiting them and learning about their history. I took a lot of pictures, but sadly labeled none of them, except for noting the year of the trip on the envelope. I've learned my lesson since then and now I photograph the signage when I travel so I can identify the sites I've seen when I get home. I've just spent the last hour reading about the temples of the area and I am reasonably sure that I have properly identified the location. 

The Bang-Pa In Royal Palace grounds in Ayutthaya

One of my favorite places in Thailand was the former capital of Thailand, Ayutthaya. It was founded in 1351 and was the capital of Siam before it was destroyed by the Burmese in 1767. It was known as the "Venice of the East," with an estimated population of a million people. In addition to the archaeological remains from the capital era, the Summer Royal Palace is also in Ayutthaya. It is a beautiful site to spend the hottest part of the summer -- or any time -- outside of Bangkok.  

Loved the elephant topiary at the Royal Palace.
 The elephant has been a royal symbol in Thailand for hundreds of years.  

Enjoying my day in Ayutthaya

For "U" we're flying 10,000 miles to return to Europe. Including our destination tomorrow we've only got five more stops on our world tour. Three of our stops will be in Europe and one will be in North America. I'm still pondering one of the last stops. 

As ever, thanks for visiting and take good care! Much love and wash your hands.  

13 comments

Chatty Crone said...

Enjoyed my trip to Thailand. I enjoyed the photos of you too. Wonder how the area has changed since you were there.

Ginny Hartzler said...

I love the elephant topiaries! And the Bang-Pa is lovely and intricate. Looks like it is out in the middle of the water.

J Lenni Dorner said...

Great pictures! Thanks so much for sharing.

I hope you and yours are staying safe and healthy during this difficult time.

J Lenni Dorner~ Co-host of the #AtoZchallenge, Debut Author Interviewer, Reference& Speculative Fiction Author

Theresa said...

"T" is for travels and you have certainly traveled a lot. I always enjoy seeing all of the pretty sights that you have seen. Enjoy your day dear friend, HUGS!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

The temples are amazing and what a sight it must have been to visit there. I feel like Round the World, in much less that 80 days for sure.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

When I saw the temples in this post, I was truly amazed, but then the elephant topiaries were such fun to see. I can imagine how difficult it can be to keep them in shape.

Melinda said...

Wow you have been a traveler for sure!
Love seeing the your Carol. Fun to look back at those.

Great visits.

Your perseverance in the A-Z posts is awesome!

M : )

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

I love the elephant topiary too ;) Beautiful country, would love to visit one day.
W is for Women

Lowcarb team member said...

… and another interesting post, thank you.

All the best Jan

Vagabonde said...

That was an interesting post. It’s true the temples in Chiang Mai are beautiful. I also went there twice. The second time we flew from there to Laos. It was remote but lovely. The food in Chiang Mai was really tasty.

peppylady (Dora) said...

It look so green a lush

Dorothy In PA said...

I am enjoying the journey and getting all of the stamps on my passport.

Little Wandering Wren said...

Greetings from Thailand- The Bang-Pa Royal Palace grounds are a favourite of mine. I loved seeing your photos from here.
Wren x