Powered by Blogger.

G Is for Ghost Ranch

Welcome to Ghost Ranch

I've long been a fan of Georgia O'Keefe's paintings. My particular favorites are the landscapes of the area near Ghost Ranch, an hour or so north of Santa Fe. Not unlike the era when O'keefe painted its gorgeous vistas, it is still uncrowded. The light is spectacular and as described by O'Keefe, "It is a country of things in light." It is an awesome landscape with sweeping vistas and mountains in the far distance.

  A different view of Ghost Ranch, but the same beautiful sky and vista

When Georgia O'Keefe first visited here in the 1930's Ghost Ranch was a dude ranch. She spent her first summer here in 1934 and stayed for many summers, spending winters in New York City. O'Keefe eventually bought land a short distance away -- but with the same magnificent views -- and built a year round residence. Ghost Ranch became an education and retreat center in 1955, run by the Presbyterian Church. The list of programs is extraordinary and I'm hoping to one day attend a writer's program there. Sadly, like so many other places, Ghost Ranch is closed now. There is, however, a beautiful series of meditations on their website with inspiration and thoughts for Passover and Holy Week. 

I'm not sure how many pictures I took on my day north of Santa Fe. But every time I went a step or turned to the right or left another I saw another extraordinary sight, and I kept taking pictures and more pictures. I've had the most difficulty choosing photographs for this post, but I've had the best time looking at all of my memories.   

Georgia O'Keefe's house down the road in the village of Abiquiu

Tomorrow we're going from New Mexico to another state that also begins with New. We're going 2200 miles across the country to a place that holds a special place in my heart. Please join me. 

Passover began tonight and I shared a wonderful Zoom Seder. We gathered electronically from Pennsylvania and Minnesota and various parts of New York state. We had a few technical glitches and it was far from our norm, but it was very special. Every year at Passover, we ask the question "Why is this night different from all other nights?" There are four traditional answers, and this year a fifth was added. This night was different from all other Passovers that I have ever known, but so grateful that we still could commemorate the journey from slavery to redemption. A sweet and healthy Passover to all who are celebrating.   

As ever, thanks for visiting and take good care. Much love and wash your hands!

9 comments

Ginny Hartzler said...

What a glorious place. It IS hauntingly beautiful. The second picture is my favorite.

Chatty Crone said...

That place looked amazing.

Kerin said...

Santa Fe and the surrounding area are favorite places of mine too!
I have a collection of cards by Georgia O O'Keeffe, and they are really pretty.

Once again, I love your pictures and travel notes.

~K.

Mevely317 said...

As you know, that's practically in my hometown's backyard. :)
Occasionally, I daydream about going back for a visit, but that's as far as I get. Perhaps it's best preserved in my memories.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

What beautiful sights to see. Definitely lots of light. Something I really appreciate since we've had lots of clouds and rain here. Sunny days are wonderful. One of my son's has invited me to dinner over the internet. like your Sedar meal. Better than no visit at all but not quite the same. It's different for all of us these holy days. Hard to believe that for us, tomorrow is Good Friday! The days keep coming one after another and different or not we will get through them.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Now this is someplace I would really enjoy visiting, maybe one day when the states re somewhat back to normal.

MadSnapper said...

from the time I could walk and talk, I loved all things western, movies, books, cowboys, cowgirls and ranches and old houses. these photos are perfect in every way of what I loved and still do. I know longer scoff up every western paperback I see, but I still love places like ghost ranch.

TARYTERRE said...

this is a wonderful tour. i absolutely love Georgia O'Keefe's house.

Little Wandering Wren said...

Happy Virtual Passover to you! I would love to attend a writers workshop here at Ghost Ranch too!