Powered by Blogger.

F Is for Falkland Islands


As in the case of any number of places I've visited I didn't set out to go to the Falklands. The only thing I knew about this group of over 700 islands near the tip of South America was that Great Britain and Argentina had fought a war over the Falklands and several other islands in the area and that Britain had won the war. I knew it was sometime in the early 1980's, but I didn't know the exact date, 1982. I wasn't sure of the reason , but the outcome, a British victory, meant that the islands, largely settled by England in the nineteenth century remained officially The Falkland Islands and not Las Malvinas, as they are still called in Argentina. 

 My entry place to the Falklands, Stanley (aka Port Stanley)

 I spent a great morning exploring Stanley, the capital of the Falklands, and the most populated site in the islands. It most resembles a small English or Scottish seaside village, complete with a Waiterose grocery. There are tea shops, at least one yarn store and lots of souvenir stores. It's also the home to the most Southernmost Anglican Cathedral in the world, Christ Church Cathedral, consecrated in 1892. The biggest difference between Stanley and an English village -- location excepted -- is that just a few hours from Stanley, is Gentoo penguin country.   

Our caravan of four by fours is off to see the penguins.

Gentoo penguins are small -- maybe two feet tall -- and were first described in the Falklands in 1781.Despite our concept of penguin life taking place in ice and snow, a la Happy Feet, Gentoo penguins breeding colonies are on ice-free surfaces and the temperatures can be quite moderate. I was sitting in the back of the four by four, and it may have been the single bumpiest ride ever. But despite the bumps and bruises -- I fell out of the four by four when we arrived at our destination -- it was well worth it. I bonded with two of my companions from the ship and we still keep in touch and laugh about our adventure.  

This certainly wasn't the landscape I expected to see on a penguin visit

Windblown, but none the worse for wear and delighted with this experience

I was thrilled to be so close to penguins, but we kept a social distance, so as not to disturb the colony. The rope to the left of where I'm standing is the dividing line between visitors and penguins. The group was extremely respectful. We were only visitors and this was the penguins' home. 

Tomorrow we return to North America for two days and then it's a whirlwind back to Asia for our next Around the World from A to Z adventures.  

How are your days going? Besides going through my pictures -- still lots to go -- I've been getting ready for Passover, which begins tomorrow night. We will be doing a virtual Seder via Zoom. I know there will be a mix of emotions, with both gratitude that our group can gather together in a new format, and sadness, too, that we can't physically be together. 

As ever, thanks for visiting and take good care. Much love, happy Passover to those who celebrate and of course, wash your hands!  

9 comments

Ginny Hartzler said...

What a fabulous picture of you and the penguins! You look lovely, windblown, and so happy. Such an interesting blog post today, I have enjoyed it very much. I really didn't know much about The Falklands either.

Fantasy Writer Guy said...

Wow! Penguins! I did not know about these. The closest I've ever come to a penguin has been at a zoo and in a dream I had where a penguin was driving my car while I sat in the passenger seat arguing with him, about what I don't remember.

Karen said...

THANK YOU FOR SHARING ABOUT YOUR TRIP.

Kerin said...

You are certainly adventurous!
Even falling out of the vehicle, and yet that sweet smile on your face!

Thanks for sharing.

~K.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

All those penguins are an amazing sight. I did always think of them being in the ice and snow. Thank you for sharing your wonderful trips with us. I don't know many others that have traveled as extensively as you have. Happy and Blessed Passover to you!

Linda said...

I learn so many things when I visit here! Loved seeing you and the penguins.,

Melinda said...

Girl when you take a trip, you take a trip!

No more falling out of vehicles!

Love the penguins!!

Take care.

Happy Passover.

M : )

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Penguins are of course favorites of ours for no special reason other than we enjoy seeing them. It was lovely to see this grouping and yourself!

Little Wandering Wren said...

I have always had a soft spot for penguins - thanks for taking me to the Falkland Islands! As you somewhere that many of us do not know much about except for the war.