Powered by Blogger.

C Is for Chicago


We all need Hope 
 Robert Indiana, Hancock Center Plaza, Chicago

We've made our way from Borneo to Chicago for our Blogging from A to Z adventure today. There are a lot of cities I enjoy visiting and Chicago is high on the list. There's fabulous architecture, great food, beautiful water views and one of the finest museums in the world. I've had the good fortune to visit a number of times and would happily return again. 

 The legendary Chicago Theater is in the background.  Built in 1921, it was the first  large movie theater in America and became the prototype for those that followed. 

My favorite place to visit in Chicago is the extraordinary Art Institute.

No trip to Chicago is complete for me without a visit to the Art Institute. Founded in 1879 the collection is both wide and deep. Some of my all time favorite paintings are part of the permanent collection, including Grant Wood's American Gothic and Edward Hopper's Nighthawks. I'd seen both in any number of reproductions and parodies and the thrill of seeing the actual paintings still stands as a great memory of my first visit to Chicago and the Art Institute. I'm feeling a little museum starved these days and I had a good time visiting the museum website. There are a lot of interactive and video features and I'm planning to return in the next few days to visit El Greco online. 

A few people have asked me if I am sad that I may not be able to travel as extensively as I have in the past. Honestly, I didn't think I had more than a few -- if that many -- long, long trips left. My dream is getting to New Zealand, but that is 8,800 miles away. As the years have gone by trips that require multiple airport transfers and long flights have grown less exciting. A trip to Chicago, two hours, no transfers and lots to see and explore, is looking very good. 

We're going to share our Chicago visit with our Pink Saturday friends today. If you're not familiar with the great group of Pink Saturday bloggers, please stop by and say hello. It's always fun, upbeat and enjoyable.   

A quick hint for our destination for tomorrow! We're going to the first place I ever dreamed of visiting. I thought if I got to this magical place my life would be complete. The joys of being seven. 

As ever, thanks for visiting and take good care. Much love and wash your hands! 

11 comments

Ginny Hartzler said...

I loved visiting Chicago, and learned things about it that I did not know! Cannot wait to see where you will take me next!

Chatty Crone said...

Chicago is my HOME town - I miss it - I love Georgia, but I loved Chicago too - but it has changed a lot.

Kerin said...

Hope! I love that sculpture...wish that every city had one just like it!
Thank you so much for all the pictures and tidbits..I love seeing your adventures!

~Smiles
K.

P.S
As we were checking out at our local Walmart yesterday, a very nice lady that worked there started chatting with us. She grew up in New York, New York. She told me all about the elevator man in their building, her dad's old car, and how he would take them to Macy's etc.
It made me think about you :)
Funny ... we live in a small world sometimes.
Here we are in southern central Utah, so far from N.Y. and yet I met and chatted with that lady that is from your neck of the woods.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Short trips with no transfers is the only way to travel when I can. I got laid over in Chicago Airport one time and that is the only time I've spend there. After that I tried to always take flights the went straight through . Sitting on a bench in an airport overnight is not a good thing at all. I had a friend tht always loved to go shopping in Chicago and took regular trips there to do so.

Melinda said...

Love going to Chi town, we have friends and family there
and it is always fun to visit.

Looking forward to D. I think I might know where we are off to.

M : )

Lowcarb team member said...

Another enjoyable post …
I've not been to Chicago but I did visit New Zealand back in the 70's :)

All the best Jan

Mevely317 said...

What a wonderful (and timely) header photo!
Chicago wasn't some place I've longed to visit … until I met Tom. I'd love to see where he lived so many years … and, of course, I wouldn't say 'no' to some of those fabulous restaurants.

PS - USPS tracking tells me your package was delivered yesterday eve.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I always enjoy your travel photos. I've never traveled much except within the US. But I've made a lot of good memories along the way. Take care of yourself my friend!

Patti said...

What a fun way to do the A-Z challenge!

Deb J. in Utah said...

What a fun post. I have never been to Chicago although we lived in downstate Illinois for five years. Great pictures.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

The closest I had been to Chicago was seeing it in scenes of the film, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, but this was a nicer and more complete tour, Thanks BC.