Powered by Blogger.

Live from Churchill Manitoba

My Northern Lights experience in Iceland

While I am writing this post I am also watching the Northern Lights in Churchill Manitoba, thanks to Explore.org The best times to view them are between 10:00 p.m. and 4:00 a.m. The best time of the year to see the lights is during February and March, with many cool, clear nights. These extraordinary lights are created by "billions of collisions between charged particles (electrons) from space with gases in our atmosphere." The result is beyond awe.

It takes a clear night to see the Northern Lights, but not too moonlit a night. I visited Iceland a few years ago and the top activity on my list was seeing the Northern Lights. It was a clear night, but also completely moonlit. On any other night I would have been thrilled, but the brightness of the moon made seeing the lights next to impossible. Our wonderful guide instructed us in using a Northern Lights app on our phones. The photograph above was done via the app.

This photograph was taken the same night. Very different from what I anticipated. 

A sad reality for Northern Light tours. I considered trying a second tour with better results, 
but this was the case for several nights after my first attempt to see the lights.   

Despite my resolve to keep to some semblance of a schedule, I went way off it today. I did get my walk and phone calls with friends, but fell asleep while reading late in the afternoon. I started this post about ten and then went down a rabbit hole of listening to music. It was totally enjoyable -- lots of the Three Irish Tenors -- but it's a lot later than I am usually awake. 

As ever, thanks for visiting and take good care of yourself. Much love and wash your hands! 

8 comments

Ginny Hartzler said...

Stunning! And I love the lonesome, wide open scene on the ground, too!

JFM said...

Love those photos!!!
You sleep whenever you want...
I for one, am entirely burned out right now and hardly sleeping at all 💮

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I would love to see the northern lights, too bad about the weather conditions.. we cannot fight mother nature, and she often surprises us well as disappoints too. I almost always fall asleep for an afternoon nap when I'm reading. I have to say I think it's good for us. Glad all is well at your house.

Linda said...

I love the Three Irish Tenors!!!

Lynda said...

The lights are beautiful! Can you imagine if you had never seen them before and no one told you about them - - - and you saw them for the first time? It would make me feel like it was the endtimes of the world! Thank you for posting that link.

So thankful you are still able to get out a bit and still distance yourself. Your life was turned upside down enough with no stove - - and now this. However we know we are still blessed. Stay safe, Friend!

Theresa said...

Beautiful! It is nice to get out of the house for a little bit but I am ready to see PEOPLE:) Enjoy your day dear friend, stay safe up there! HUGS!

Lowcarb team member said...

Beautiful photo's …
Sometimes it's so good to have a nap :)

All the best Jan

Robert said...

Great post and thanks for sharing. In holidays I love Northern lights vacation alaska.