Powered by Blogger.

The Allure of the KitKat

My favorite KitKat, Wasabi

My friend Melissa's son and daughter in law recently returned from their honeymoon, which included a visit to Japan. Melissa shared that they had brought her a box of peach KitKats. That brought back memories of my trip to Japan in 2015 and my fascination with the many varieties found in Japan. I didn't try the soy sauce KitKat, but I did try every flavor that was new to me and became enamored with the wasabi KitKat. It seems like a strange combination, but really no stranger than chocolate with chili powder.

While putting this post together I found that I had written about discovering wasabi KitKats while I was in Japan, but hadn't yet tried them. I hesitated because all I could find was this package of eight. I'm not sure if I took the KitKat plunge and bought eight or found a single one for sale, but wasabi became my favorite. 

The visitors' center at Mt. Fuji featured Mt. Fuji candy and to the left, 
souvenir boxes of strawberry cheesecake KitKats. 

KitKats were introduced in Japan in 1973. In the decades since over 300 regional and seasonal flavors have been produced. The very popular green tea flavor was introduced in 2004 and in 2017 the melon and mascarpone flavor was introduced. One flavor I found especially interesting was the sake flavor (2016) which combined sake and white chocolate. 


Before I explored KitKats I took my first step on Mt. Fuji

Per yesterday's post I had a very interesting evening last night that I will post about this week. I need to spend a little more time getting the photographs ready to post. So far they are not cooperating very well. 

I had a fun day today and enjoyed "Knives Out," with my friend Jane and a leisurely coffee time after the movie. I enjoyed "Knives Out" a lot and especially liked seeing one of my favorite actors, Daniel Craig, in a totally different role. It was a lot lighter than most of the movies I've been watching lately and a welcome relief. How did you spend your day?

As ever, thanks for visiting and have a great week. 

12 comments

Chatty Crone said...

Okay I never knew Kitkats came in different flavors. Although I don't know if I would eat them right now.

Deanna Rabe said...

I've been fascinated with the different varieties of Kit Kats!

I've not seen Knives Out, but it is on my list. I may wait until its offered on a streaming service, but I do intend to see it.

Linda said...

I loveeeeeee Kit Kats and had no idea they came in different flavors. I also love Daniel Craig and will miss him as Bond. smiles

Have a great day friend.

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

I am a purest about my chocolate. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. I like originals.

Knives Out was the most. fun movie of the year. I wish there were more like like it.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I had no idea kit kats were popular in Japan or that they came in different flavors. The original is fine with me.However its wonderful that your friends and you got to visit there.

Judy at GoldCountryCottage said...

I am flabbergasted! I had no idea that KitKats came in more than one flavor. Another great reason to leave your comfort zone and get out a enjoy life!xxoJudy

Pam said...

I just never got Kit Kats, my friend said she saw mint flavored ones yesterday, but then I'm not crazy about chocolate. I did like "Knives Out"though, very entertaining, funny and an actual plot more-so than most movies today.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

I have always like Kit Kats, but am not sure ai would try other than the standard ones sold here, traditional chocolate wafers are my favorites. I also enjoyed Knives Out which I saw late last year. Daniel Craig’s character was as far away from his 007 one as imagineable.

Theresa said...

We love kit-kats but didn't know there were so many different varieties. We just love the original and I like them in the fridge! Have a blessed day dear friend, HUGS!

Gloria said...

I like Kit-Kats but didn't know they came in different flavors.

Melinda said...

You are a brave one, my dear.
I am just a straight up Kit Kat kinda
gal.
Haven't seen Knives Out yet but it is on my
list.

School and my kids kept me busy today.

M : )

TARYTERRE said...

i'm not big on kitkats in general. but when my husband heard about your wasabi KitKats he was imeadiately intrigued.