Powered by Blogger.

In Memory of Mary Higgins Clark: An Act of Kindness


It may have been the simplest obituary in today's New York Times. It was succinct, with simply a name, dates of birth and death and the details of the wake and funeral. It was a little lost among the longer obituaries that had a number of paragraphs and a photo.

This was the woman known in life as "The Queen of Suspense," Mary Higgins Clark. Beginning in 1975 with the publication of her first suspense novel, "Where Are the Children," she published over 50 suspense books that sold an amazing cumulative total of over 100 million books. All were bestsellers and all are still in print.  

Mary Higgins Clark left the world and us, her readers, with a legacy of decades of reading pleasure, for which I am most grateful. But it's the final sentence of her obituary that may tell those of us who never met her, her true legacy. We are asked to "perform an act of kindness for someone in need." If the millions of us who read one of Mary Higgins Clark's novels performed just one kind deed in her memory, that kindness would light the world.

My prayers are with Mary Higgins Clark's family and with her family of readers in Buttercupland and throughout the world.  Is anyone else a fan of her writing?

I spent the morning figuring out some of my orthopedic woes and the afternoon enjoying the fifty degree weather. Tomorrow I'm back to Yoga and grocery shopping. It's not a thrilling schedule, but I  appreciate every day in February that's not slippery.

As ever, thanks for visiting and let's do a kind deed!

15 comments

Cindy said...

Love it! Thanks for sharing, I so enjoy reading your blog!

Deb J. in Utah said...

I love her books! So sad she is gone now. I had not heard. Thank you for sharing this.

Ginny Hartzler said...

What a wonderful request!! I read about her earlier this week, she was a wonderful and prolific writer.

Great-Granny Grandma said...

That is such a touching obituary, made so by the request. Love it.

Chatty Crone said...

I loved her books - what a touching story of her life.

Carrie @ Cottage Cozy said...

My goal is yoga every day in February!

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

I have read one or two but my mother read every one and was always looking forward to her next novel.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Yes, I am a fan of hers and yes, she will be missed. I've read most of her books. and they are always good. What a wonderful way to remember her by doing an act of kindness for someone. Kindness always matters.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I hadn't heard about her passing...what a difference she made in our lives. And what a beautiful obituary. Have a good day my friend!

Deanna Rabe said...

Such a simple obituary for a very popular author. I like the request that was made. It tells you much about who she was as a person.

NanaDiana said...

A wonderful writer's voice stilled forever. She was an amazing woman. Enjoy your yoga and even a non-exciting day. Hugs- Diana

My Tata's Cottage said...

Had to say hello and comment. You always write such great posts. ALways a pleasure to visit you here. HUGS

Sharon said...

Oh my! What a shock to see this. I have read every one of her books including those she co-wrote with others. Just finished one last week. So sorry and yes, I will absolutely perfom more than one act of kindness in her honor.

DeniseinVA said...

I have read her books and was so sad when I heard of her passing. A great legacy to bring joy to a lot of people through her writing. It would be lovely to do an act of kindness in her honor. I try to do one all the time. I am a big believer in spreading kindness around regularly. Take good care of yourself and no slipping or sliding :) I have come a cropper on many an icy spot over the years.

TARYTERRE said...

she was one of a kind. she will be missed. RIP