Powered by Blogger.

Go Red!

Please meet Miss Fluffy, the ChairBear of Buttercupland's Go Red for Women post

February is American Heart Month and the first Friday of every February is National Wear Red Day. I wore my red winter jacket -- alas, forgot to take a selfie -- to attend a great  Go Red for Women event at Lenox Hill Hospital. Go Red for Women is the American Heart Association's initiative to end heart disease and stroke in women. I think of myself as up to date on health information, but I didn't realize until today that heart disease is the #1 cause of death for women, more than all forms of cancer combined. The staff of the hospital shared lots of good information about staying heart healthy. I particularly enjoyed talking with one of the nutritionists and members of the physical therapy staff. 

But I was most intrigued by the exhibit about emotional well-being. In addition to good nutrition and exercise, here are a few tips that we can all try to include in our daily routines.  

I enjoy listening to music, but I am delighted to know that it's doctors recommended. 

I'd add not just to avoid negative people and places, but to seek out positive people and events.  


Living in New York City it's easy to walk to many of my errands, but I don't move enough 
when I'm home. This is a good reminder to move around my apartment or even take a quick
 walk in the hall of my building every hour. I'm going to put this one right by my computer to remind me to get my seat out of my chair!

Miss Fluffy was the perfect choice to be Chairbear for Go Red for Women. Besides her stylish red attire, she's always smiling and upbeat. She's also always ready for ice skating. There's lots of exercise in Miss Fluffy's day. 

I think of February as Valentine month and I love all the cute Valentine goodies. Candy and flowers are great, and I really enjoyed my Valentine vanilla coffee this morning. But the best Valentine gift we can give to those we love is to keep our hearts healthy.  

As ever, thanks for visiting and take good care of your heart!

10 comments

Ginny Hartzler said...

I did not know these heart statistics! I think the emotional well being is especially important for women, because we are naturally worriers and nurturers. We will take care of others before ourselves. We need to be as kind and forgiving to ourselves as we would to a best friend. Miss Fluffy will be a good reminder to exercise!

Susie said...

Carol, We saw Dr. Oz on the Today show...he recommended some of those very things, relieving stress, moving every half hour, eating better. Stay healthy. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Thanks for sharing those tips for good heart health. I'm one who believes in taking a deep breath to relieve stress and that's so important. I also tend to sit too much and need to get up and walk around more. Go Red!

Mevely317 said...

Wonderful thoughts … thank you. Because my BP numbers are great, I've been flirting with the idea of cancelling my stress test. Now, perhaps not.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I love Miss Fluffy too! And these are all great reminders. My new Apple watch has an activity app and it keeps me moving. If I sit too long...it's says stand! Then I walk around and it says You Did it! heehee! I love the encouragement. I should listen to music more often....I forget to turn it on! Hugs!

NanaDiana said...

Good post and a good reminder to all of us. I am walking on a daily basis again and feel so good (after I walk-not during)...lol I know that if I keep it up I will begin to look forward to the walk and not do it just to be doing it. Love Red Ted! xo Diana

Chatty Crone said...

Thank you Miss Fluffy - wearing red - me too - for my dad.
Hey can you believe it is snowing today in Georgia - first time in three years. The world here stops. lol
I agree with all the above prescriptions!
Love, sandie

Julie's Creative Lifestyle said...

Hello Carol, the bear is so cute wearing read and that is so awesome that you attended the heart event at Lenox Hill Hospital. They gave great advice and with living in NYC there is plenty of opportunity to get and take walks. Hope you have a nice weekend.

Deb J. in Utah said...

Yes, heart disease is a big problem for women. Thanks fo these reminders. and tips Stress is a big factor - i know that I get pulled down by family/work/friend drama and that adds to my stress, so something I need to work on. I spent a lovely morning working on a meaningful service project with a lot of other nice women today, and my stress level went way down, so I need to get out and focus on others more than myself. Thanks again for this important post!

TARYTERRE said...

miss fluffy is quite the gal. will wear my red next friday because i was inside last week from snow and ice and the chills. good points you make about heart health.