Powered by Blogger.

Appreciate a Teacher

History teachers of Weaver High School, Hartford, CT 1967-1968
 
My favorite high school teacher, Mary McDonnell, is seated at the far right. She was a wonder. She was funny, she was patient and she was so intelligent. She took the initiative to put together a curriculum for American Intellectual History and kept us engaged and questioning, which is the hallmark of a great teacher. She was one of the teachers to whom we dedicated our yearbook. Part of the dedication read "Her sense of humor cuts through the trivial and makes learning a memorable experience."
 
 I loved her class and I know I let her know how much I enjoyed it. I went back to see her after I graduated. I probably sent a Christmas card for a few years. And then my thoughts drifted away from high school, as they had drifted away from elementary school, and as they would later drift away from college and graduate school. There were now jobs, friends, relationships and an entire world to explore.
 
A few days ago one of my Hartford friends posted an obituary on Facebook. It was for Mary Heslin, another beloved history teacher. She had followed her years of teaching by becoming Deputy Mayor of Hartford, then Consumer Affairs Commissioner for the state of Connecticut. Her passing brought me back to thoughts of the many teachers that contributed so much to my life. It also brought a measure of regret for how few of them I thanked in later years.

In most cases it's too late. My beloved elementary school principal, Margaret Godfrey, and our wonderful high school gym teacher, Marilyn Strong, stand out, and in both cases the time has past. But there is at least one college teacher and one graduate school teacher I need to find -- thanks in advance, Google -- and thank. It's time to appreciate a teacher, or two, or three and let them know how much I appreciate all of the gifts they gave me. Please join me in appreciating a teacher!

In our next post we move back to vacation time and glimpses of life aboard the Black Watch. Isn't that a perfect name for a sailing trip to Scotland?  

It's fully summer in New York City, but at least today was sunny. I'm catching up on post-vacation errands and getting back into the routine of water aerobics, Yoga and grocery shopping and food prep. The big change is a new teacher for water aerobics. I loved our former teacher, who was promoted. On the theme of this post I need to thank him!

As ever, thanks for visiting. Have a wonderful Wednesday! 

5 comments

Ginny Hartzler said...

One of my pet peeves is that teachers do not get paid enough. They hold the future of our children in their hands. And they have to be so patient and wise. The black Watch...there used to be a Scotch Black Watch bagpipe parade that would come to Washington D.C.

Chatty Crone said...

I am so sorry about your teachers. My daughter is one. It is hard to lose people we love.

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

I was a teacher for nine years. It got to me emotionally, so I moved on. However, looking back, they were wonderful years. I have been remembered, though, and even got invited to a wedding of a student.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Teachers are special people and deserve our appreciation. History was always a favorite subject and still is. Here we are very humid with temps in mid 80's with a chance of storms today. Hope you are staying cool.

Theresa said...

I have my favorites too! Most of my teachers are gone but certainly not forgotten. Enjoy your day dear friend, HUGS!