Powered by Blogger.

F Is for Flat White

Sydney, Australia on a cloudy summer morning, January 2018
 
When I joined my tour in Sydney last winter I mentioned to our incomparable tour guide, Matt, that I was a fan of coffee. He assured me he would guide me in every stop on our trip, and added that I needed to start drinking "flat whites." I had no idea what he was recommending. I soon found out and across and up and down Australia I drank flat whites. 
 

  A flat white in Bondi Beach
 
A flat white consists of espresso and microfoam, steamed milk with small, fine bubbles. Its close relative is the latte, but it has less milk and more coffee. It also has characteristics of the cappuccino, but with less foam. I assumed that the flat white was of Australian origin, but there is a debate between Australia and New Zealand as to which country can claim the flat white. As I am not a coffee historian as yet, I leave this issue to those more familiar with the historical setting. As a coffee drinker I came to enjoy it very much and will always be appreciative to Matt for this recommendation. I had hoped to keep drinking flat whites when I came home from Australia, but with a very few exceptions, I was disappointed and have returned to my more familiar cappuccino when I want a treat. 
 
 Bondi Beach Graffiti Wall
 

Bondi Beach is an iconic stop for visitors to Sydney. Only five miles from the Central Business District it is the place envisioned with the words "Australian surfing." I was especially taken with the Graffiti Wall which separates the beach from the town. My tour group spent an idyllic hour here, walking along the empty morning beach and then enjoying our coffee time. As a side note, there wasn't a stop when we didn't enjoy our coffee time in Australia. There was terrific coffee everywhere we went. Thank you, Australia!
 
I'm happy we're getting around the world with our A to Z Blogging adventure this year. I'm also happy to be joining my Pink Saturday friends this week, too. What are you happy about this week? 
 
We're returning to New York tomorrow for "G" and one of my favorite local places. I hope you will join us. As ever, thanks for visiting and let's have a cup of coffee!


5 comments

Theresa said...

Oh that looks yummy! I think I would like the flat white too. Have a beautiful day dear friend. Hugs

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Oh Yes, let's have another cup of coffee! I have heard of flat whites but never had one. I really should try one out just to have the experience. If it's on the lighter side of a cappuccino or like a latte, I should enjoy it. We'll see...

Kerin said...

I would LOVE to visit Australia, and more specifically Tazmania!
I'm not a coffee drinker, but how fun to have a guide that found some great places for you to enjoy :)

Smiles :)
~K.

Random Musings said...

They sound much better than the UK version of them
Debbie

Tanza Erlambang said...

I love cappuccino...I should try "flat white" if I find in Starbuck stores...
Have a great weekend