Powered by Blogger.

Pink Saturday Celebrates Australia Day

 
It's actually Sunday in Sydney and the celebration for Australia Day has finished...
 
...But in New York City it's Saturday night and we're still celebrating with our Pink Saturday buddies. Australia Day is the official National Day of Australia. Last year I was in Australia on January 26, enjoying one of the best trips ever. I hadn't realized that today is Australia Day until I got a text from my travel buddy, K., reminding  me. I've pulled together some of my favorite pictures of our visit to say Congratulations to Australia. 
 
Besides the photograph of Sydney shown above I've chosen pictures from our visit to Cairns, which is the gateway to the Great Barrier Reef. The Great Barrier Reef includes over 3,000 individual reef systems and our day spent at sea there was an extraordinary experience. 
 
   
This is not the Great Barrier Reef, but a wonderful park on the ocean in Cairns. K and I discovered it on a walk the first night we were in Cairns and made it our dinner stop for the next two nights. We joined, what seemed like, every family in Cairns enjoying this extraordinary venue. It was the perfect place to enjoy a picnic by the ocean. In the background are bats, which came out every evening at sundown.
 
I would be remiss to omit the coffee of Australia, and one of my favorite places was in Cairns. The coffee shop was Bang & Grind and I only wish I could have been there long enough to complete my frequent visitor card. I was introduced to one of Australia's favorite ways to drink coffee during my visit, the flat white, which is espresso with microfoam. This delicious way to drink coffee got me through jet lag very nicely. 
 
This poster, from Bang & Grind, was a handy reference tool for the rest of my visit. 
 
Kiki and me, one of the best moments of 2018.
 
In a trip that held as many great times as the visit to Australia it's difficult to choose a best moment. The Sydney Opera House, the views in the outback and the Shrine of Remembrance in Melbourne come to mind immediately. But for single best moment my minute with Kiki the Koala, at an animal park in the hills above Cairns, is the winner. Meeting Kiki was a once in a lifetime experience, and this is one of my favorite pictures of all of my travels.
 
I hope you've enjoyed our visit to Australia and getting to know Cairns. Do you have a favorite memory from your travels?
 
I'm doing well, but I think in an effort to enjoy a few relatively warm winter days, I may have overdone my exercise. I took it much easier today and will do the same tomorrow. I start outpatient physical therapy on Monday and want to be able to take advantage of my session. 
 
As ever, thanks for visiting and take good care. Keep cozy! 




8 comments

Nellie said...

Hi, Buttercup! I'm not much of a traveler, though truly enjoyed a few short days on Martha's Vineyard a few years ago! Sending you wishes for a speedy complete recovery!

Melinda said...

Fun time for you I am sure!

M : )

Little Wandering Wren said...

Wonderful Aussie Memories - love that photo of you and the koala. Who'd have thought we met a year ago! Hope your recovery continues to go well.
Wren x

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Thanks for the visit down under. So nice to see a warm sunny day. We are cold and getting colder with a few days right around zero coming our way this week. Take care, rest up and keep warm and cozy. Physical therapy is sure to provide a work out for you!

Theresa said...

Lucky you getting to visit Australia. I LOVE the picture of you and Kiki, you should have it framed. Have a beautiful day dear friend, HUGS!

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

That is a wonderful picture of you and Kiki.

Take care, Carol. The PT will have you back to normal quickly.

My Tata's Cottage said...

Your photos are all so wonderful. I enjoy traveling here with you. Thank you

Anne Payne said...

Oh my! That picture of you and Kiki is adorable!! I can see why it would be one of the best moments of the year.