Powered by Blogger.

If I Could Turn Back Time

One World Trade Center with holiday lights
 
This is an extraordinarily evocative time of year. Though I make every effort to live in this time and this place, Chanukah and Christmas bring back memories -- many memories -- of celebrations past and those we celebrated with who are no longer with us. 
 
Lower Manhattan is filled with memories. I worked in the area for over ten years, including September 11. There are memories of shopping at the World Trade Center Concourse and holiday parties in at least a dozen different places, each one bringing back thoughts of friends and colleagues, some I am still blessed to spend time with and some who live only in my memories.
 
I had the good fortune to see the bio-musical "Cher" a few weeks ago and the song, "If I could turn back time..." has been stuck in my head since then. There are few occasions when I'd like to turn back time, but seeing the Christmas tree at the FDNY Memorial Wall, across the street from the World Trade Center Site and the 9/11 Memorial, gave me the desire to turn back time.
 
The FDNY Memorial Wall at Christmas
 
The Fire Department Memorial Wall is a 56 foot bronze sculpture, at Engine/Ladder Company Ten. It honors the 343 firefighters and volunteer firefighter Glenn J. Winuk, who died on September 11, 2001. It is a deeply moving remembrance of bravery and sacrifice and definitely worth visiting.
 

 The 343 firefighters are always remembered at Ladder 10 and in our hearts.
 
Fire Department Memorial Wall Christmas Tree
 
 None of us can turn back time, but we can honor and remember those who gave so much for our city and our country. May their memories be a blessing.

I spent a lovely Christmas Eve and Christmas Day celebrating with friends in Brooklyn. The time included good conversation, wonderful food and several Christmas movies. I couldn't ask for a better celebration. I'm still writing cards and plan to be finished by Sunday. My goal is to enjoy the snowmen and the Monkey family for a few more days and then organize all of my cards/wrapping/décor on January 1. This is at least two weeks ahead of my usual post-holiday routine, but my goal for 2019 is to tackle a number of organizing projects I've been putting off for a long time. It's going to be a busy year for the shredder! When do you take down your decorations and store them away. I have friends who "undecorated" on Christmas night, but that's too soon for me.

As ever, thanks for visiting and take good care!

9 comments

TARYTERRE said...

i keep christmas up all year long. what a lovely tribute that wall is.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

Beautiful sights there in the city! Enjoy your weekend!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Yes, 911 is a time we'd all like to take back for sure. We wish it had never happened, but it did. It is good to honor all those that lost lives that day when our lives as we knew it changed for ever. We didn't have to live in NYC to feel the horror of that day. We do need to keep living in the present and not stay stuck in the past though. My decorations come down on January 6th here, but I try to keep Christmas in my heart forever.

Lynda said...

Your pictures are always phenomenal. Thank you for sharing the 911 Memorial!
Just curious - - - are you going to do your "no spending & Purge/declutter the house" again? You may have made good habits though and don't have anything extra to toss or donate.
The thought came to me when you talked about putting stuff away - - - and January is traditionally the time to improve areas of our lives.
It is so much fun to follow your blog - - - even if I don't comment as often as I used to. Watching the grandsons bring the school year takes a lot of free time and energy.

Mevely317 said...

Beautiful! Your first paragraph resonates so deeply within my mind, my heart. I love how you've given voice to what I feel but cannot express. Happy New Year!

Carrie @ Cottage Cozy said...

That would sure be a time we would all like to turn back and wish it never happened - we lost our nephew in the Twin Towers, he worked for Canton Fitzgerald...he and all the other victims of that day and even the days afterwards that are suffering with illnesses due to the toxic debris should be remembered and supported by us all.

Anne Payne said...

Such poignant photos of WTC. I hope to one day be able to visit NYC and see it for myself. 2019 needs to be an organizing year for me too. I have lots of crafts that I would like to work on but need to re-do my work space. Happy New Year, my friend!!!

Pam said...

Great post, Buttercup! It would be great if we could turn back time in that case. Nice memorial was and tribute.

Brenda said...

That song has been stuck in my mind this year also