Powered by Blogger.

Memories in Black and White

 
My mother, circa 1935
 
If my mother was still alive she would have been 104 last Thursday. But she passed away in the winter of 1990, barely 75. Many years ago she tossed photographs of her life after high school in a desk drawer. I'm sure I've seen them before, but while looking for another photograph I once again came upon these pictures of my mother and her friends enjoying life in Hartford, Connecticut. My mother is the young woman in the center of the photograph in the floral blouse.
 
 
Again, my mother and friends are out and about. While I don't know where the bicycle picture was taken, I'm reasonably sure that this picture was taken in Elizabeth Park in Hartford. This was one of our favorite family places, whether it was for ice skating in the winter or visiting the beautiful rose gardens in the summer, we spent a lot of time here, and all happy memories. My mother is on the far left in this picture, wearing the floral dress and elegant hat.  
 
 
This picture looks a little later. My mother and friends look more mature and beautifully dressed. My guess it's in the early 1940s. The depression is over and though sadly, the war has started, everyone is employed. My mother spent the war years working for the Department of the Navy, which was one of her favorite jobs.   
 
Once again, it's happy birthday to the laughing, beautiful woman who became my mother. I am a very fortunate and grateful daughter. Mom, you're always remembered and always loved.
 

11 comments

Terra said...

Laughing and beautiful, that is a great way to describe your mom.

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

You are your mother’s daughter, Carol. Like you, she seemed to enjoy her time out with friends and having a good time.

I really enjoyed looking at these old pictures. Thank you for sharing.

TARYTERRE said...

a lovely tribute to your mom.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

How nice to have those pictures of your mom to honor her birthday. She was beautiful and looked so happy !

Kerin said...

I'm sure you still miss your mom very much.
So nice that you have so many pictures of her, and she is smiling in every picture!

Warm wishes..
~K.

Theresa said...

Beautiful pictures of those times so long ago. Hugs coming your way as you remember your Mom!

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

I love seeing these older photos and how people dressed, even for a day at the park. Just lovely.

You have beautiful memories of your mother, what a wonderful gift!

Little Wandering Wren said...

Your Mum was a stand out lady! Love the floral blouse and frock.
Wren x

peggy said...

I love these pictures. I was born in 1935 so my mom would have fit right in with those happy ladies. Cherish your old photos, thanks for sharing.

Susie said...

Carol, It is nice to see those wonderful pictures. I really like to think of my mother as a young woman starting out on her life story. We love our mothers. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

Melinda said...

I love to look at black and white photos. They just have a way of telling a story.
It is also fun to see family our age or younger and wonder what
their lives really were like back in the day.

M : )