Powered by Blogger.

Thanks for Resilience, Prayers and the Bomb Squad

Three blocks south to Columbus Circle
 
I've written about Columbus Circle many times. Macy's Thanksgiving Parade goes past the Time Warner Center that is located there. There's a fabulous view of Central Park from one of my favorite restaurants. I shop in the Whole Foods in the lower level and I love the holiday decorations and music every December. 
 
 Time Warner building holiday decorations
 
I live a mile and a half north of this area and I am there frequently. My gym is four blocks north. During the 1990s I worked at the location -- our building was torn down to build the Time Warner Center -- and the neighborhood is very familiar to me.
 
My Wednesday activities are very structured. Weight Watchers meeting in the morning, lunch with friends, followed by chair yoga for active older adults and then strength training. If I need groceries, I often stop at Whole Foods at Columbus Circle. Not today. When I got to Weight Watchers I saw an alert on my phone, a bomb at Columbus Circle. Our meeting place is only a mile north.
 
It's hard for me to stay calm when there is a bomb -- even what may be a small bomb -- a mile away. My instinct was to gather up my things, skip yoga and get myself home. But I managed to comment on the discussion at Weight Watchers, enjoy lunch with my friends and our walk to the gym. When we arrived at the location in the first picture, the day was calm. Traffic was moving right along and it was a perfect autumn day. I went into the gym for Yoga and continued with the weight machines. Yoga was the right activity for the day and my extraordinary teacher added a few new positions for us to try, which took my mind off anything happening just a few blocks further south. 
 
I'm thankful for the resilience of New Yorkers, the prayers of friends around the country and the NYPD (Police Department) Bomb Squad, which disabled the bomb found at the CNN mail room. Many thanks for all who rose to the challenge of this day around the country.
 
I know Buttercupland has been quiet. I've been in Knoxville and Nashville visiting friends. It was a great week -- fabulous friends, fabulous weather and fabulous food. There will be a post about my visit and then we'll start to move into the fall and holiday season in New York. There will be lots of pictures and I hope, lots of posts.
 
As ever, thanks for visiting. My wishes for a quiet week ahead!      
 




5 comments

Theresa said...

It is SO sad that people put all of this effort into scaring us. I pray for safety for all involved and that the person making these threats will be caught soon. Have a blessed day dear friend, HUGS!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I'm so thankful no one was harmed and the situation was taken care of. Good for you keeping your calm. I think I would have headed home. I am looking forward to hearing about your latest trip.

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

It is a scary world and getting more frightening every hour. Two more bombs found this morning in Delaware marked for Biden. Thankfully all of these have been found before they hurt anyone, but where do we go from here?

I am so glad that you had a good vacation and am so sorry that you had to go through the trauma in NYC yesterday.

Kerin said...

Thankful that all is well.
Prayers certainly help and add comfort in times like these.

~K.

Curtains in My Tree said...


Yes new York City goes through a lot of trails and mishaps for sure.
I'm hoping they catch this sick person very soon, like today.

I love New York City and want to visit again soon