Powered by Blogger.

Pink Saturday Stop and See the Flowers


I love long weekends in New York City. Of course, since I've retired every weekend is a long weekend. But I especially love the official ones. Restaurants are less crowded. There's no need to buy tickets ahead for movies, and I've gotten a seat on the subway or bus every time I've gone anywhere. In addition, the weather has been idyllic this weekend. I've made a few plans, but nothing very taxing. I went to services, spent time with friends, cleaned out a couple of kitchen cabinets and enjoyed walking in my neighborhood.

I've been going at a slower pace and took time to enjoy the flowers around me. New York City isn't considered a garden spot. There's more concrete and steel than grass, but when I'm observant there are flowers all around. I'm happy to share a few of my favorites from my walk today as part of Pink Saturday.

The flowers in the top photograph caught my eye on West 84th Street this morning. As I took out my phone a woman walking down the street stopped to admire them, too. A big thank you to the anonymous gardener who made our morning.

 These beauties grace the building next to mine. I walk in this direction four or five times a week, but this morning is the first time I stopped and saw this planting. 
 
 A shout out and thank you to the many small grocery stores that display their flowers on the sidewalk. The displays change seasonally and at the sunflowers have arrived. 

Tomorrow's schedule is a movie and a trip to the gym. A big thank you to everyone who is working on the holiday I get to enjoy. A special thanks to our Transit workers who will keep buses and subways running tomorrow and every day. What are your plans for tomorrow?

As ever, thanks for visiting. Wishes for a great day and the opportunity to stop and see the flowers.  

11 comments

Donna said...

The flowers are so beautiful! Thank you for sharing them with us. Plans for tomorrow? I am so looking forward to a whole day at home not needing to go anywhere. Since I started working a few weeks ago, tomorrow will be the first day since, that I don’t need to get out. I do have plans for making “I am”, signs for the lunchroom. Like I am kind. I am smart. I am strong. Things like that. Have a blessed day friend.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Flowers do make our world a whole lot brighter and a happier place to live in. Glad you too have a least a few to enjoy. It's a hot and steamy day for us and much of what I do will be inside. I wilt terribly in the heat and humidity. Hope you have a happy Labor Day !

Chatty Crone said...

Love the flowers!
Happy Labor Day. God Bless! sandie♥

Louca por porcelana said...

Hi!Flowers always make me smile!Thanks for sharing!Hugs.

Little Wandering Wren said...

I've been watching some of the US Open tennis - looks Aussie hot with you! Enjoy the wander!
Wren x

Theresa said...

I would love to stroll your city streets and stop to smell the flowers:) Enjoy your day dear friend, HUGS!

Susie said...

Carol, I am thankful to those who have to work holidays. If we go to eat we tip extra big on those days . LOL I love seeing the flowers in our local grocery too. Only ours are inside. I had a fabulous weekend. Enjoyed as much as if I were still working and getting a 3 day weekend. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

Other than company on Sunday, we did little. We usually have plans for big holiday weekends but nothing worked out this year. The petunias, fanflowers, and Sunflowers are all lovely. One can’t help smiling when they see sunflowers. They are happy flowers.

Kerin said...

Carol, I love that you seek the good.
Finding the beauty where you are.
Brings to mind the old saying; "Bloom where you are planted".

Smiles :)
~K.

Curtains in My Tree said...


Oh I love New York City as I have said before

Those flowers are all beautiful
So glad you can enjoy a nice holiday weekend with less crowds everywhere
I enjoyed my extra day off and enjoyed my yard and flowers also, my cat was glad I was home

Carrie @ Cottage Cozy said...

I agree - the flowers on display are so lovely!