Powered by Blogger.

Books, More Books and Two Favorite Authors: A Look Back at Book Expo 2018

Just a few of the lines for autographed books at this year's Book Expo
 
 
I have a rule for BookExpo. I don't wait in lines. I've made a few exceptions over the years -- Geraldine Brooks, for one -- but unless I can see the author my place in the line, I move on. I've gotten to meet many authors whose work I admire and I've saved a lot of wear and tear on my feet. But as I was looking over the list of authors who were scheduled to attend two stood out and I decided I would wait in line to meet them. 
     
 
There was a short line to meet Walter Mosley, but I would have happily waited much longer.
 
John Woman is not part of the outstanding mystery series featuring Easy Rawlins, but I'm eager to read it, and I'm grateful to have an autographed advanced copy. I'm hoping to get some new posts in Coffee Light -- my neglected mystery book blog -- written and the Easy Rawlins series might just be on the list of posts.
 
    Yes, that's Buttercup with one of her favorite authors, Deborah Harkness.
 
I don't remember how I came upon the first book in the All Soul's Trilogy, A Discovery of Witches. I rarely -- this may be the only exception -- read books where the characters are witches or vampires. It's just not my preferred genre. But I started A Discovery of Witches and kept reading right to the end of the book. It had a wonderful combination of history and fascinating characters and I enjoyed the entire trilogy very much. I especially like the blending of fictional characters and historical figures, particularly in the sections set in Elizabethan England. Time's Convert extends the trilogy with the story of Marcus MacNeil, who was featured in the Trilogy. It will be published in September.
 
I haven't forgotten my annual BookExpo book giveaway, but I'm still deciding on the book.  I will post it in the next few days.
 
Summer has started in New York, just a few days in the actual start of the season. It's been air conditioner and sandals weather but so far, it's been pleasant. I've been able to continue on my Journey of 1,000 Miles -- walking 1,000 miles in 2018 -- and I'm on track to reach my goal for June of 100 miles. I missed May by .1 and ended the month at 99.9 miles walked. I don't want that to happen again.  
 
As always, thanks for visiting. Next post we return to our subway series from A to Z.

10 comments

Theresa said...

Looks like a great time at the Book Expo. I have never been to one but would love to:) It's hot here on the first day of Summer. Looks like it going to be a HOT Summer. Have a blessed day dear friend, HUGS!

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

From reading your posts over the years, I know that this Book Expo is one of your favorite things. It looks like you had a very good day. Happy Summer Solstice.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Yay, I'm getting to make a comment today. Whatever you did, it's great to comment again ! I'm confused by some changes blogger has made, but am trying to go with the flow. Missing your goal by .1 mile hardly seems to make much difference. It's wonderful you can do so much walking. I haven't been able to do much for a couple of years now but used to love it. Can't do even half what I used to and I miss it. Happy First day of Summer !

Mimi said...

New-to-me authors. Thank you!

Susie said...

Carol, I admire your stamina for walking...wish I had better feet to walk like that. I think it's fun to meet authors, although I have only met about three in my life time. LOL. Blessings to you, xoxo, Susie

Mevely317 said...

Your stamina is amazing! I know it didn't come easily or quickly, but Wow! That line for autographs would be off-putting for me, as well.

TARYTERRE said...

Happy Summer Solstice. good job getting to see your authors.

Chatty Crone said...

That was cool!

Little Wandering Wren said...

I know you are a great authority on a good read, having enjoyed your recommendations on your recent visit to Melbourne. It is fun to meet the authors and to have a signed book.
Here's to a great summer of reading and lots of walking!
Wren x

Terra said...

I call myself a bookaholic so that Book Expo would be dangerous for me, I acquire books faster than I can read them. I can see you had fun meeting two favorite authors.