Powered by Blogger.

What Is So Rare as a Day in June: Random Five Friday

My mind has been a little scattered this week. No special reason, but when I sat down at the computer to write about Book Expo or do another subway post, all concentration disappeared. In an effort to prime the literary pump I'm going back to an old favorite format,  Random Five Friday. For recent citizens of Buttercupland, Random Five Friday is exactly what it sounds like. I write about five random topics. It's not quite stream of consciousness, but it comes close.


1) I found some wonderful titles at BookExpo, including an advanced reader copy (ARC) by one of my new favorite authors, Neal Shusterman. Dry is written with Jarrod Shusterman and it's a Young Adult dystopian novel. I know I am many years away from a young adult, but as a fan of The Hunger Games, I've continued to read the genre. I'm about a third of the way through the book, but it's more than holding my interest.

2)

Up the street and a few blocks over I came upon this brownstone street scene and some of the first roses of not-quite summer. I love the Waterlogue app and I think this summer day translates well into a watercolor rendering.

3) Today was a perfect almost summer day and the line from James Russell Lowell from his poem, June, kept going through my mind:

What is so rare as a day in June,
Then if ever, come perfect days... 

4) A new Trader Joe's opened seven blocks away. This might be a small thing to some, but Manhattan is a supermarket nightmare. The norm are narrow aisled and dark markets, nothing like the average suburban market that seems to extend forever. I've really been enjoying my supermarket visits, and with the luxury of retirement I'm able to shop in morning when it's delightfully empty.

5) Oops! I got sidetracked between random thought 4 and random thought 5 and now it's Saturday morning. I was listening to music -- a beautiful rendition of Loch Lomond -- while I worked on this post. The song ended and I googled another song and then another and another... Somehow I got from Loch Lomond to Nat King Cole. I'm happy to end this post with thoughts of my father, as we anticipate Father's Day and  Nat King Cole, one of my father's favorite singers.

It's another beautiful June day in New York City and I'm about to take a long walk and enjoy the sunshine and the warm June day. I'll be back with photographs for another post.

As ever, thanks for visiting and wishes for a great Saturday!



 

No comments