Powered by Blogger.

T Is for Times Square

T is for Times Square, of course!
When I started to put together the list of stations for this year's A to Z, I wrote down the letters of the alphabet. Next to the letter "G" I wrote Grand Central Station and next to the letter "T" I wrote Times Square. I filled in most of the letters easily, though a few were challenges. I rewrote the list several times adding names and taking others away, but the choices for G and T never changed.
I've written about Times Square several times, but this history in a nutshell includes a different twist. Originally the area was called Longacre, after the area in London. But with the beginning of the IRT subway line real estate speculation began in the area. In January 1905 a new headquarters for the New York Times was opened between Broadway and Seventh Avenue and 42nd and 43rd Streets. Longacre Square became Times Square. The New York Times is no longer at Times Square, but over one hundred years later the name remains.  
Time to stop and hear the music
This station is one of the busiest in the system and it's also one of the liveliest. Music Under New York is an MTA program that brings a wide variety of musicians to the subways. This is one of my favorite spots in the subway system to enjoy the performers.
The Times Square Station has an extraordinary selection of art. Perhaps my favorite piece is New York in Transit by the distinguished artist, Jacob Lawrence. I may have passed this glass mosaic mural a thousand times -- I am often in this station -- but really "saw" it for the first time while I was taking photographs for this series a few months ago. 
   
New York in Transit by Jacob Lawrence
One of the scenes of "The Revelers," by Jane Dickson

This beautiful mosaic series, of which the mural above is a part, recalls the activity that comes to mind immediately at the thought of Times Square, its legendary New Year's Eve ball drop. After a few years of watching the excitement on television I experienced it on New Year's Eve of 1966. My memory was that it was an unusually warm night for December -- I just looked it up and it was 63 degrees -- and I was visiting New York with my parents. We stood somewhere on Broadway and did the countdown to 1966 with thousands of other people who were enjoying the balmy night. For New Yorkers, however, 1966 would not begin auspiciously. January 1, 1966 is remembered as the start of a thirteen day transit strike which affected all of New York and closed every subway station.

In our next subway post we'll begin a short trip at Chambers Street. Please stop by to join our excursion. 

As ever, thanks for visiting and have a fabulous Friday!   




6 comments

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

I am so glad, Carol, that went back to your A to Z challenge to tell us more about the subway stops. Those of us who read your blog and get to visit NY will be sure to look for the wonderful art at these stations as we travel through the city.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I can see why it might be your favorite station. Times Square is a place we can all relate to with the New Year's Eve celebration. What a lovely memory you have of being there with your parents. The art work is amazing and it would be wonderful to hear the music too. Hope you have a fantastic Friday! We are like your balmy December day, in the mid 60's, but it's May!

Mevely317 said...

In my 16th year, Times Square New Years Eve might well have been as close as the moon! The 'Music Under New York' series sounds intriguing; my DH would probably pull up a folding chair and enjoy all the live-long day. :)

Susie said...

Carol, It makes my heart happy , thinking of you there at Times Square with your parents. 63 is very warm for New Year's Eve in NYC. I am glad you had that experience. I loved being at times' square when we were there. We stayed at an older hotel just a block away. I love the whole experience for Ted and I. ...although it was not new year's eve. I love seeing and hearing street musicians. Blessings to you, xoxo, Susie

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

This may be my most favorite post of this series! I love seeing these photos!

Chatty Crone said...

I loved this too - I have been to Time Square - YEARS ago - loved it then and love it now.