Powered by Blogger.

Times Square Is Not a Square


At the north end of Times Square a salute to George M. Cohan and his contributions to American music -- Give My Regards to Broadway, Over There and You're a Grand Old Flag.

Twilight looking south to Times Square
 
Times Square is dazzling, crowded and the center of theater in New York City. It is the iconic spot that almost every visitor wants to see. However, Times Square isn't a square. It's closer in shape to a polygon that starts at Forty Second Street and extends to the  TKTS (Discount theater ticket) kiosk at Forty Seventh Street. The latter is a great stop for same day discount theater tickets. 
 
In the Nineteenth century the area was known as Longacre Square (after the area in London) and it was the home of the horse trade. But the popular entertainment district moved uptown and by the end of the nineteenth century it was crowded with theaters and other amusements. In 1904 Longacre Square became Times Square when the New York Times moved its headquarters there. In 1907 the New Year's Eve ball drop began -- 100 years this year -- and the area became legendary throughout the world.  


Looking north from Forty Second Street.
 
There was some concern among the citizens of Buttercupland -- actually it was only my college friend, Karin -- that I wouldn't be finishing the A to Z Welcome to New York City. Do not trouble yourselves. I didn't finish in time for the challenge, but the remaining letters (including H) will be featured.
 
I was pleased to see the enthusiasm for the Mile A Day Challenge in May. It's nice to know that my Buttercupland buddies all over the world will be walking for good health this month. 
 
Today was errand day for me, uptown and downtown. There were a few pesky things that needed to get done and I happily checked several things off my list. It was a perfect spring day and I enjoyed being outside, walking and being productive. 
 
As ever, thanks for visiting and let's keep walking!    


11 comments

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I just got back from walking....over one mile! YAY! I think this challenge is going to keep me on track. I hope so anyway! Thanks girlfriend! Hugs!

Kerin said...

Great post!
All those buildings... wow.. I would be dizzy from spinning around to see all the sights...LOL!

Yep. Did our walk today. Two miles, then some yard work.

~K.

TARYTERRE said...

And here I thought it was in the shape of a square. Just when you think you know a place you surprise us with more information.

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

It is always exciting to be in Times Square.

I did 2.2 miles yesterday. Thank you for encouraging us to get out there and walk.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I always spend New Year's Eve watching the events at Times Square. Little did I realize the New York Times made it's home there. Am definitely enjoying all the info and the pictures. Thanks again !

Dee said...

Dear Carol, Your posting fascinate me because I've never explored New York. I been there only once--when I was 21--for a college meeting. So from you and from the mystery novels of Linda Fairstein I learn so much. Thank you.

As to walking: the neurosurgeon insists that it's the best exercise for healing from back surgery. I'm wearing right now one of these things that has a name "it-something" on my wrist and working to get up to 10,000 steps a day.

Right now, seven weeks after the operation, I'm usually at about 5,000 or so steps a day. So 2 miles. I hope to get up to the 10,000/4 miles something this summer. It feels so good to move my body. Peace.

Theresa said...

I always enjoy walking with you in your gorgeous city! Have a blessed day, HUGS!

Paula said...

How fun it would be to be able to walk to Times Square!

Susie said...

Buttercup, I enjoyed my walks to times square when I was in NYC. So many odd things to see. :):) Blessings and happy walking, xoxo, Susie

Melinda said...

Another place to visit someday.
As for the walking--missed that post?
anyway I wear a pedometer each day and average
close to three miles a day just at school!
Then add more after I get home.

M : )

Melinda said...

Anther place to visit someday.

As for the walking--missed that
post? I usually average three miles
a day just at school sometimes more
and then add to it at home after school.
By the end of most days I have around
10,000 + steps.

M : )