Powered by Blogger.

A Walk in the West Village Pink Saturday

I've had a lot of trouble getting back into "regularly scheduled" blogging in January. December was all holiday/all the time with just a few exceptions and my topics were easy to put together. January has been totally different. I'm almost back to where I was when I first began blogging and would ask myself, "What will I write about?"

I actually asked myself the same question and the answer was easily emerged. I needed a return to the things I regularly write about -- New York City, coffee, books and my life. This week I'm going to post about each of these topics in four different posts. Today for Pink Saturday I decided to start with an adventure in New York City. I put on my sneakers, took my MetroCard (subway and bus pass), buttoned up my coat and picked a subway station to start my afternoon. I ended up in the West Village and just started walking. As long as I was going north -- the direction home -- I knew I would be fine.
 
When I saw this cute pup in the window the thought that went through my mind..."How much is that doggy in the window?"
 

I learn something new every time I walk in this fascinating neighborhood. I don't remember seeing this plaque when I walked on Barrow Street before and wasn't aware of the relationship this street has with Tom Paine. Many of the houses date to the early nineteenth century, with interesting architectural details.

Down the block from the plaque we've just seen is this courtyard. It look like an alley between buildings, but it's an interior courtyard. I wish I could have gotten a better angle to show the details. 

A few blocks away I came to Grove Drug and was charmed by the pretty Valentine window.
 
A few more blocks north I arrived at Jackson Square. It's pretty when it's all in green in the summer and equally pretty in the winter with its snowy accents. It's a favorite place to sit and watch the city go by in better weather.

For a different perspective, here is the same scene in Jackson Square a la Waterlogue. 

I hoped to include a coffee review in this post, but only came upon a few non-chain coffee shops during my walk. I found one I'd like to try and may make a return visit to the neighborhood later this week.

It's been a nice weekend. Yesterday was my synagogue study group -- every second Saturday for the last twenty years -- and today was grocery shopping and my adventure in the West Village. I also have begun using a planner and spent time getting organized for 2017.

As ever, thanks for visiting. Take care and keep cozy.
 

6 comments

TARYTERRE said...

So much fascinating history surrounds you there in the city. Lots to learn and see. And for you to show us.

Anonymous said...

Hi Carol, Such lovely photos on your adventure. Seeing the window in the drug store reminds me of the little variety store in our small town when I was little. Near Valentine's Day, the store front would have beautiful heart shaped boxes of candy and the old fashioned Valentine's we shared with school friends. It sounds like you had a full and nice weekend. Always lovely to check in with you. Have a wonderful week.

Mimi said...

Love that you give me a New York window.

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

What a nice and interesting Saturday you had.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

It is funny how you can go the same way many times and always see something new. Looks like you had a lovely walk. Hope this new week finds you healthy and happy! Have a wonderful Monday!

Unknown said...

cool